How i pack my parcel

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yen_saw

Forum Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is amazing how insects can survive during shipment that sometimes last more than a week long. Besides the favorable weather and duration of shipment, a proper way of packing could improve the chance of survival greatly. Over the last few years i have been asked on how to pack my parcel and i would say buy some mantis from me and you will see :p :D :D ... really i never got the chance to show it with picture. So following are the usual way i pack... step by step

For aggressive species, i usually pack them in individual deli cup.

deli1.jpg

Glue the lid with a piece of tissue

deli2.jpg

deli3.jpg

Then glue another piece of tissue to the bottom of the cup

deli4.jpg

Place in the mantis (Rhombodera sp) and close the lid

deli5.jpg

deli6.jpg

When they are ready, tape all the deli cups together

deli8.jpg

deli9.jpg

You could separate the deli cups into different bundles in order to fit into the shipping box

deli10.jpg

Poke a hole with pin if you want to but it is not necessary

deli7.jpg

To Be Continue.......

For species that are more tolerate towards each other i use insect container (16 oz).

group1.jpg

Glue a tissue on the lid (better footing for mantis)

group2.jpg

group3.jpg

or use one of those fabrics lid

group4.jpg

I use raffia inside the container to increase foting area and absorb impact during the rough shipment. A piece of tissue is also glules to the bottom of the container.

group5.jpg

Put in the mantis (Arizoan unicorn) and close the lid

group6.jpg

group7.jpg

It is never a good practice shipping mantis that is going to molt but if it is unavoidable get a tall plastic vial lined with tissue (and the lid too) so incase of molting there is a chance of surviving.

tall1.jpg

Does it look familiar to you basist? :D

Keep everything intact and avoid loose containers if possible

group8.jpg

To Be Continue...... getting bored yet? :p

Now come to final packing. Ship mantis in a solid box, not envelope or flimsy box.

box2.jpg

box3.jpg

Styrofoam box with heat pack is preferred for shipment going to coldest part of the country

box1.jpg

heat1.jpg

Firstly put double side tape to the bottom of the box

box4.jpg

box5.jpg

Then the bubble sheets (now the sheet is stuck to the bottom as insulation)

box6.jpg

Next is another double side tape to keep the containers fix at the bottom

box7.jpg

box8.jpg

box9.jpg

More to come....... :)

To fill up the box i use polyester. But anything else (like paper) is alright as long as it fills up the void in the shipping box. That reduce the movement of the containers during shipment.

box10.jpg

box11.jpg

box12.jpg

Add heat pack if needed (well of course with the plastic removed)

heat2.jpg

Fill up the top with more fillings

box13.jpg

and another towel paper on top before sealing the box.

box14.jpg

If you have "Fragile" stamp use it! I like to stamp it on the express shipping note cos there is where the mailer look it. i usually try to ship the express mail in the afternoon to reduce the time mantis staying in the box. Also, do not include cricket or roaches with the mantis inside the containers. Flies are alright. So with proper and not too complicated packing method, your mantis should do alright during shipment and hopefully stay stress free :)

Nicely done, Yen!!!

But...

Yen... <_<

Couldn't I just come over to your house, pretty pls? :p

I think seeing your set up would be the highlight of my mantis-hobbyist-life!!! :lol:

*hugs*

Dinora

I like your write up Yen so I pinned it to the top of the forum page so it will stay on the main page. I basically use many of the same techniques.

Great work Yen and I had two that molted in shipping both to adult one made it the other didn't. (I honestly blame the postal guy he didn't even knock on my door just put the slip in the mailbox took about two hours to get the package from the post office <_< )

Nicely done, Yen!!! But...

Yen... <_<

Couldn't I just come over to your house, pretty pls? :p

I think seeing your set up would be the highlight of my mantis-hobbyist-life!!! :lol:

*hugs*

Dinora
Sure but i have to warn you my house is being renovated right now so plenty of mess around :)

I like your write up Yen so I pinned it to the top of the forum page so it will stay on the main page. I basically use many of the same techniques.
Thanks. lets hope more mantis can survive shipment now.

Great work Yen and I had two that molted in shipping both to adult one made it the other didn't. (I honestly blame the postal guy he didn't even knock on my door just put the slip in the mailbox took about two hours to get the package from the post office <_< )
Partly my fault too i could have waited :( but glad the rest made it alright.

Very cool.Do you mind if I ask where you bought the deli cups? ;)
Costco :)

but you can find these on many places

http://www.trellisearth.com/index.php?main...004ebe5d5b713aa

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/dart-200pc...pk/999P200.html

http://www.bgpaper.com/store.asp?pid=17152&catid=19812

Excellent! Thanks for sharing Yen. Looks as good as the live shipments I've gotten from other professional seller/suppliers.

I like the suggestion to use poly batt. It would probably absorb shock better than most other fillers since mantises are so light.

Thanks for the info yet, I might check out my local Sam's Club and Costco. See if they carry the little containers ;) . Or maybe I'll just steal some from the school cafeteria! hahaha

Thanks for the info yet, I might check out my local Sam's Club and Costco. See if they carry the little containers ;) . Or maybe I'll just steal some from the school cafeteria! hahaha
No need! It's really easy to get 50 pots, or more, if you want, Absolutely Free! Just order the appropriate number of nymphs from Yen Saw, and you'll get as many free pots as you want! The nymphs are pretty darn' good, too! :D

No need! It's really easy to get 50 pots, or more, if you want, Absolutely Free! Just order the appropriate number of nymphs from Yen Saw, and you'll get as many free pots as you want! The nymphs are pretty darn' good, too! :D
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice, Yen, thanks for the pics to go along :)
Hey no problem Asa B)

Yen, about your first post - it look like you place mantis into the deli-cup right after fixing pieces of cloth with glue. But some sorts of glue can be toxic until they dry up, especially in close compartment. Also, the upper piece of cloth may fall down because of weight of it's own and mantid's.

Yen, about your first post - it look like you place mantis into the deli-cup right after fixing pieces of cloth with glue. But some sorts of glue can be toxic until they dry up, especially in close compartment. Also, the upper piece of cloth may fall down because of weight of it's own and mantid's.
The setting of the glue that most of us use here (low temp hot gun glue) is mediated by temperature rather than curing, so, as far as I know, there is no release of toxic fumes, and the tissue paper is firmly held to the lid. More importantly, the pots arrive with healthy nymphs, often clinging to the tissue on the lid, and Всё хорошо́, что хорошо́ конча́ется. (Hope I got that right, Mija!). I don't know whether you have pots like this available, but if so, this shipping method is worth a try.

Borya, as Phil said, the glue stick used in the glue gun is what i call an inert material, both odorless and non-toxic. Unlike some other materials used in construction. When applied glue, make sure you cover all corner of the tissue so it stick well on the lid, but i really doubt the weight of a small mantis nymph is heavy enough to pull down the tissue.

I didn't see such glue in Russia as yet. I put a cone of paper napkin inside the cup, bend the edges outside down and fix it with the rubber band. After placing the mantis I cover the cup with the piece of mesh and fix it with another band (sorry, no photos available). This makes all the inner suface of compartment rough and easy to climb, that is especially useful for species who have no adhesive pads on their tarsi, like M.religiosa or Empusa.