Mantis Hobby interferes with Family Life Support Group

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay

Reaction score
Though I initially thought that I was the only one who experiences “issues” with keeping my hobbies, or as my wife calls them “obsessions” in moderation, it seems that there may be others in this hobby that feel that any time spent on enjoying their hobby cuts into some kind of valuable family time (whether it actually does or not). Don't get me wrong - I love my family. It is just that sometimes I need something else to focus on.

If you can relate with needing an outlet by obsessing on this incredible hobby, know that I empathize.

Anyone want to establish a support group? (=

(group together) Hi LAME. So how long have you been a mantisholic? :D

I thought the support group was this forum itself already ;) It helps to talk about our addiction, and seek the advice of others - even though we can also get our additive items here too... So I guess it's like alcoholics meeting at a bar to talk about their addiction - maybe not a good idea huh.

Everyone likes their free time to do what they want, in our cases mantis related. Sure there is time with the family but not every awake minute has to be with them. ;) So far my family for the most part likes to help out a bit (grinding cricket feed, helping setup new fruit fly cultures, etc) - so that combines both mantis and family time. :D

Hello group,

I am Denise I too am a mantisaholic (spell corrector says this is not a word) so we are cured!

It all started with a google search, looking for a mantis for my eco friendly garden ...

Now 100 mantis later I may have a problem... (my house is not big enough)

I know the forum is not the best place to be for a problem like mine...

but I am sure I have all the support I need here, now and forever...

And yes, Orin I agree...and it is a lot more fun..IMO

So now are these going to be daily or weekly meeting?

Are we going to set a time for the meetings?

Thank you all for the support...

Similar to Dmina's case I have a mantis problem and I cant stop buying. My issues are money and space. My bedroom isnt big enough for my stuff and mantids lol. I still always make room for more :p

hahaha i am also a mantidaholic! (sorry guys -- its always MANTID for me when speaking of the creature in general!) and heck i aint changin! mantid owners unite!! We need rings with mantid faces on them

Ive been keeping mantids since my 19th birthday. Im on year 4. I have literally not went a single day without owning a mantid in all that time.

Its my mission to own as many species as possible! Nextly to raise each species to adulthood successfully and breed them and hatch their oothecae. Only once ive raised, bred, and hatched the species will i consider them checked off the list!

The problem with us in marriage is the spouse always wants all the attention to be on them or family. We need to realize we are all unique and need time for what

interests us. God did not say we could not have enjoyment, just don't be so spellbined that nothing else matters. Maybe the spouse likes to play golf, or do crafts, remind them of that and that this is your hobby.

I think it's a far saner addiction than memorizing how many times another man threw or caught a ball.
The problem with us in marriage is the spouse always wants all the attention to be on them or family. We need to realize we are all unique and need time for what

interests us. God did not say we could not have enjoyment, just don't be so spellbined that nothing else matters. Maybe the spouse likes to play golf, or do crafts, remind them of that and that this is your hobby.
I completely second what has been said in both of your comments!

I do not want to talk sports, or trucks, or guns or any of that. Additionally, I would hope that the 7-10 hours (minimum) I spend listening to others in my family would account for enjoying a relief from the stresses of life by taking care of my bugs.

As a medication from the problems at work or the hectic life at home, raising mantises has a much more positive consequences than some other pursuits.

As a medication from the problems at work or the hectic life at home, raising mantises has a much more positive consequences than some other pursuits.
+1

These are my exact feelings as well, and also like jay I myself am not the type that really talks much of sports and such.. Those things don't appeal much to me. Really raising my so-called " Pets " is my way of getting away from everything else, I save stress relief for the battlefield (ps3).. So in addition anybody that games can add me on psn.

PSN: xX_AMNES1A_Xx

;)

Latest posts