Invasive species of Mantodea

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happy1892

Reaction score
Hello. So does anyone know much about the invasive species and maybe some potentially invasive species of mantises? Such as what types of habitats they would prefer?

I always felt that the Tenodera sinensis would not do well in dryer climates. Though the Mantis religiosa might be able to live in dryer areas. With Iris oratoria living in desert climates I think. Correct me if I'm wrong!

I hear people saying that invasive mantis species are pushing out the few native species we have here in the US. Not sure if it is true.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Iris_oratoria

Last edited by a moderator:
It's hard to say if the non-natives are pushing out the natives, since all species seem to be suffering extreme population loss from the very common use of pesticides. The only difference is that the most non-natives are constantly re-introduced through oothecae from people purchasing them online or through garden centers, making it appear as though the non-natives are thriving while the natives die off.

It's hard to say if the non-natives are pushing out the natives, since all species seem to be suffering extreme population loss from the very common use of pesticides. The only difference is that the most non-natives are constantly re-introduced through oothecae from people purchasing them online or through garden centers, making it appear as though the non-natives are thriving while the natives die off.
Which species in the US do you think are impacted by pesticides a lot? Here in north of Raleigh, NC, both the T. sinensis and S. carolina are thriving or common. In Southeast Asia it must be really bad from habitat destruction, right?

Any species growing near human habitation and agricultural areas within the US have high likelihood of being impacted by pesticide useage. T. sinensis and S. carolina are the two most commonly distributed biological control species in the US, so they're bound to be the most visible species even with pesticide use. Also, S. carolina would be native, so if it is indeed a thriving and common species there, we could argue against T. sinensis displacing it.

For my area and the surrounding areas that I've been to, I'm more likely to find Mantis religiosa, Tenodera sinensis, and Iris oratoria than the native Stagmomantis californica.

Some species do better in disturbed habitats and may benefit from the production of clearings--species that prefer grassy areas to lush forests, for example.

For my area and the surrounding areas that I've been to, I'm more likely to find Mantis religiosa, Tenodera sinensis, and Iris oratoria than the native Stagmomantis californica.

Some species do better in disturbed habitats and may benefit from the production of clearings--species that prefer grassy areas to lush forests, for example.
Yeah, it is hard for me to find pictures of Stagmomantis californica online. But I find pictures of S. limbata often. The funny thing is, it feels like with these mantises in the west, people more often misidentify them than get them right. lol

It is a myth that Tenodera sinensis, Mantis religiosa, Stagmomantis carolina work for pest control, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a myth that Tenodera sinensis, Mantis religiosa, Stagmomantis carolina work for pest control, right?
I am not sure I would call it a myth since they will consume pests but mantids don't discriminate between pest insects and beneficial insects. I think their effectiveness as pest control is minimal.

They consume large numbers of prey, but are hardly efficient at biological control since they end up controlling their own population density through their non-specific appetites and thus cannot be encountered in numbers high enough for them to be proficient pest control. In addition, they are not effective biological control against any species as they change their targets as they molt due to size and because they do not target specific species.

They're truthfully very poor at targetted biological control, and could be considered more as ecological threats as they're most likely to feed on important pollinators such as native bees than they are to feed on pests such as slower-moving caterpillars and small true bugs such as mealybugs and aphids which are some of the more devastating pests. We'd be better off using parasitic wasps and flies that are known to target specific species and groups of invertebrates.

Hello. So does anyone know much about the invasive species and maybe some potentially invasive species of mantises? Such as what types of habitats they would prefer?

I always felt that the Tenodera sinensis would not do well in dryer climates. Though the Mantis religiosa might be able to live in dryer areas. With Iris oratoria living in desert climates I think. Correct me if I'm wrong!

I hear people saying that invasive mantis species are pushing out the few native species we have here in the US. Not sure if it is true.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Iris_oratoria
Mantis religiosa can definitely thrive in drier climates. Where I live is considered desert/semi-desert and they're quite common