Wild mantis ootheca hatched early!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bugmankeith

Reaction score
I have some mantis religiosa and Chinese manyis ootheca in my shrubs. The religiosa were ordered last December and put outside right before NY warm winter finally got cold, everything was fine. 

I go outside to find one religiosa ootheca has hatched! Last night was 42F and heavy rains and it's been cold and rainy all week, but they hatched this morning when it was in low 50s no rain, usually ootheca hatch late May or in June, so I think this might be a weird occurance. None of the other ootheca outside hatched. We're supposed to have nights in the 50's and 60's coming in a day or two, but lots of rain still and cloudy days, can they survive you think? 

I've never had religiosa ootheca here, only Chinese, being these are native perhaps they handle more cold? We do have insects out. Here's my weather https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/West+Babylon+NY+11704:4:US

Last edited by a moderator:
Religiosa hatch a bit early compared to tenodera I have noticed. I am surprised they hatched this early with the weather we have been having in NY this past week though.

Mabye the warm winter had an influence? Either way, could they survive?
They should be fine if they are able to capture small enough prey, temps in the 50s or better is low but tolerable (as adults can withstand a few nights of freezing temps). Are there any other insects around your area right now? If not you might want to capture as many as possible and release them later on when the insect life outside is in full swing, so they will not starve to death.

I know the Stagmomantis carolina ooths that I have been watching outside here in Indiana haven't hatched yet either, and the last ooth I got to witness hatched in mid June last year.

I see aphids, ants, pill bugs, centipedes, flies, daddy long legs. I think some of them could sustain baby mantids and as it gets warmer more insects will soon be emerging. 

I see aphids, ants, pill bugs, centipedes, flies, daddy long legs. I think some of them could sustain baby mantids and as it gets warmer more insects will soon be emerging. 
I wouldn't worry about them then as they should be fine, and likely will discover even more prey themselves. Best of luck with them.
thumbs-up2.gif

Other people in my area have seen baby mantises hatch, so it's not a freak incident something with the weather triggered early emergence. Apparently they know it's warm enough to emerge, but this is surely a record!

Latest posts