What is the best starter sp. Of mantids

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spider_creations

Reaction score
Hello guys and gals  :D  I was wondering since I am still new to this hobby what are the best starter sp. Of mantids that is still fun to keep. I also want a easy sp. To raise and breed any suggestions for me. Share you thoughts  :rolleyes:

I've found that African Twig Mantids (Popa spurca)  and Ghost Mantids (Phyllocrania paradoxa) are both very easy to keep. To start out I would avoid any species that requires extra heating or has very specific humidity requirements. For the most part, both the species I've mentioned are very hardy, and they're both pretty interesting looking little guys as well! 

I've found that African Twig Mantids (Popa spurca)  and Ghost Mantids (Phyllocrania paradoxa) are both very easy to keep. To start out I would avoid any species that requires extra heating or has very specific humidity requirements. For the most part, both the species I've mentioned are very hardy, and they're both pretty interesting looking little guys as well! 
Thanks so much! By the way do you know anyone selling those sp.?

gotta second that ;3

In my opinion Sphodromantis lineola or Popa spurca, ghosts are kinda boring and sonetimes don't wanna eat for long time :)  I started with lineolas they are just perfect great eaters, friendly, action-y and basic care plus they get big! Popas are also awesome so cute, simple care, didnt breed them yet lol

Are there any species that don't require fruit flies for the nymphs? I'm interested in expanding my invert collection into mantids, but I hated breeding fruit flies so much I sold off my dart frogs. I breed lateralis and little Kenyan roaches, would they work?

I feed both mine meal worms. If you cut the segments small enough it shouldn't be a problem. They like the gooey insides! I have a L3 ghost and she's very small but she takes meal worm pieces just fine!

Are there any species that don't require fruit flies for the nymphs? I'm interested in expanding my invert collection into mantids, but I hated breeding fruit flies so much I sold off my dart frogs. I breed lateralis and little Kenyan roaches, would they work?
If the baby roaches are small enough why not. Or as said below u can cut something up and handfeed but you will miss the hunting experience which is half the fun with mantids ;)  I feed microcrickets. Sphodromantis even eat each other from L2 so they can manage bigger prey no problem.

I'm still researching species. Was looking at desiccata or paradoxa as my first. Might just get some small nymphs and try them out sometime soon.

Latest posts