How to search & find mantids and ooths (Pictorial guide)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CosbyArt

Reaction score
title.jpg

This guide is aimed at helping anyone in the hobby to find wild mantids and ooths in their own backyard, nearby parks, and other locations.

As I have found many mantids & ooths in city and country settings, I am passing along any tips as well for those areas as they can vary; however, as I have never searched in desert type or tropical environments, the information will likely need to be adapted for those areas (the basics should still apply though).

All images used in this guide were photographed by me in the wild or during the collecting process itself, over the course of the last few years, with many taken recently just for the guide. If you have any useful information to contribute feel free to send me a PM or reply in this thread. So far my bests I've collected were 48 Chinese mantids (Tenodera sinensis), and about 30 Carolina ooths, within my typical three hour collecting trips in good areas. So I figured I would put together this guide for anyone who wants to know how to get started, as it seems to be a common question.

To cover as much information as possible I have broken this guide into several sections, and of course feel free to skip around the guide as needed. There are two main sections (6 and 7) of this guide, one covers mantids and the other their ooths. This is done to keep it simpler and because it does vary as mantids move around to find prey, and they prefer certain areas to lay their ooths.

I called the ooths and mantids topics "steps"; however, there is no real order it is just simpler for reference.

As this is a forum post/thread/topic there is no way to provide links to the index sections so use your browsers search function (usually CTRL F) and paste in the index section number to go to it - like (7.7)

Index

• (1) Precautions
  • (2) Locations to search
  • (3) Locations to avoid
    - (3.1) Silver-linings
  • (4) Searching techniques
  • (5) Capture and retrieval (tools/equipment)
    - (5.1) Ooths (Ootheca - oothecae)
    - (5.2) Mantids
       - (5.3) Capture
       - (5.4) Nets
  • (6) Searching for Ooths (Ootheca - oothecae)
    - (6.1) Step 1 - Ivy fence
    - (6.2) Step 2 - Chain link foliage
    - (6.3) Step 3 - Side of a house
    - (6.4) Step 4 - Fence row
    - (6.5) Step 5 - Trees
    - (6.6) Step 6 - Fence gate
    - (6.7) Step 7 - Fence post Vs house
    - (6.8) Step 8 - Windows and siding
    - (6.9) Step 9 - Front porch stone slabs
    - (6.10) Step 10 - Shed/outbuilding
    - (6.11) Step 11 - Dead ivy fence
    - (6.12) Step 12 - Dead ivy half-cleared
    - (6.13) Step 13 - Now bare fence
    - (6.14) Step 14 - Final cleared ivy search
  • (7) Searching for Mantids (praying mantis)
    - (7.1) Step 1 - Ivy fence
    - (7.2) Step 2 - Chain link ivy
    - (7.3) Step 3 - Side of my house
    - (7.4) Step 4 - Fence row
    - (7.5) Step 5 - Trees
    - (7.6) Step 6 - Roses
    - (7.7) Step 7 - Near the ivy  - Double species wild mantids
  • (8) Conclusion
* Notice - to save typing (and reading) when I write about Chinese ooths or mantids I am referring to the species Tenodera sinensis. The same applies for Carolina ooths and mantids, which is the Stagmomantis carolina species. These are the two mantid species most common in my area, and in many parts of the US as well.

(1) Precautions

While I've never came across problems collecting insect specimens - i.e. new pets - Watch out for dangerous wildlife while you are busy searching, be aware of your surroundings. If you are allergic to bees that is likely the biggest potential problem, as there are many bees anywhere you are likely to find a mantid.

In my home state of Indiana, which I feel is rather tame in wildlife, I have to keep an eye out for cougars and wolfs (many sightings lately) but the biggest concern is timber rattlesnakes and copperheads. When fishing I tend to see at least a few copperheads and a occasion cotton mouth, one reason I gave fishing up (seems I attract them or I just can spot them - not sure which). I've also found copperheads even in the most isolated woods (miles from any road which could be life-threatening), as I nearly grabbed one while digging golden-seal (yellow-root) and ginseng years ago.

A bigger threat than wildlife though, is usually humans when you are alone. So I would recommend you go with a buddy for safety when possible. It's always better to be too safe than run into a problem.

Besides bodily harm the only other point is to search only on your property or where you have permission. Getting ran off the area by the police, given a ticket, or worse - is not worth a few insects.

Dress for the environment you will be searching. If your searching for any length of time wear long pants, long sleeves is optional, to avoid excess bug bites (mosquitoes and chiggers can be a pain).

glocations-m.jpg

(2) Locations to search

* Search your own property or property where you have permission, there is no need to get in trouble trespassing for mantids (as some land owners would allow you to search if asked in person).

Ideal locations are anywhere grass and weeds grow freely. One area not shown and is great at finding mantids, is fields used to grow hay/straw/alfalfa. Many farmers leave their smaller fields, or land not good for crops, to grow feed for their livestock. As long as the farmer doesn't use sprays/pesticides on those fields, many don't to avoid costs and potential problems, they should be teaming with insect life.

Sometimes you can find mantids and ooths walking down a sidewalk (I've had a mantid fly and land on me before, and one jump from nearby plants onto my head and was unaware till someone said something about it) but for the best results find the best locations you can.

In the photo above on the left-side is the patch of mantid haven in my front yard. I allow the ivy and plants to grow naturally there on the narrow 2' (61cm) strip by the front porch and it covers the chain link fence. I typically find several dozen gravid Carolina mantid females in the spot during the fall, and many others throughout the year.

On the right-side of the photo is tall grass field, part of my sister's property, and is a amazing spot to find adult Chinese mantids. About this time last year I found so many mantids I had to quit looking as I had more than I needed (48 adults).

A tip for when your searching in tall plants, I finding using a stick to move around the weeds (across the plant tops) will force mantids to move and they are much easier to find that way. The Chinese mantids tend to drop off the plant, straight down like a arrow, so watch closely. The Carolina mantids often will run further down the plants when scarred.

Two things to take from this is to locate a area where plants grow naturally, or at the very least a area that is currently full of high grass/weed/plant growth. The second thing is to look for insect life in the area you are searching. If there is not a abundance of insects in the area, it can not support many predators like mantids and is not worth your time searching.

In my experience plants are the primary location for Chinese ooths, and a human structures (wall/fence/siding/etc) are the primary locations for Carolina ooths. So depending on your preference you will have better luck at one location for one species than another typically - unless you have a ivy covered fence and you get both species like I do.

blocations-m.jpg

(3) Locations to avoid

* Besides trespassing on others land without permission - if you are searching in a state or federal park be sure to talk with a ranger/official to check on the rules before searching. Many such parks have rules against taking any insect life out of the park (usually anything that was found in the park at all). Some city parks can be the same, but most only have a rule about littering and are okay with searching.

Learning what types of places to avoid searching can save you many hours of pointless searching, and lead you to better locations.

On the left-side of the photo is one of the local parks in my city. There are no tall weeds or plants of any kind, just some typical dandelions. The park is primarily a soccer field and has a playground at the far end. I've even metal detected there numerous times, and it only has some zincolns (newer zinc pennies that corrode/rot to nothing) and a few pieces of cheap jewelry. There is however a possible silver-lining (see (3.1) below).

The right-side is a photo from inside a density wooded area/forest. The more trees, the less plant and insect life will be there, and leads to few if any mantids or ooths - again see (3.1) below.

(3.1) Silver-linings
A silver-lining to bad locations is there are usually small areas that may be good to search. For example in the park (left-side photo) if I go to the opposite end of the park there is a large creek. All around the creek banks the plants are allowed to grow naturally and has been a good place to find mantids (and other insects).

In wooded areas there are usually areas that the trees recede around a wild field (depending on the area it can be rather large) - that area is a perfect place to search. The problem is though not all areas will have such openings to fields - at least where you have permission. Also a wooded area usually ends somewhere nearby, and around the edge there should be plenty of plant life to search for mantids. In my photo on the right-side you can just see on top of the hill it opens up, and the plant life there would be a good area to search.

Also if searching for Carolina ooths (that prefer to attach ooths to human structures), any buildings or fences you find may be great locations. I found several on maintenance sheds, out buildings, bathrooms, and concession stands at parks and such that were bad locations. So if you are limited in your search areas, explore the smaller sections that may have mantid life.

(4) Searching techniques

The searching techniques vary depending on location, if you are searching for mantids or ooths, the current time of year, and if you use any tools (nets); however, the universal techniques are to go very slow and look very closely at everything. If you want to use insect nets see the below section (5.4) for details.

It's been said before mantid searching is a bit like mushroom hunting, digging golden-seal (yellow-root) and ginseng, and similar activities.

It tends to take some time to develop an eye at spotting them outside along the plants, and various mantid movements. In the case of mantids themselves, they will also run or fly away if you scare them so besides going slow to not overlook them, it also helps prevent scaring them off.

I find if I am moving too fast to notice many other insects, caterpillars, etc. it means I am moving too fast. It's better going to slow than zipping along as you will find more, and depending on your personal likes, you may discover a new pet (such as my jumping spider (Salticidae)).

The best times of year to find ooths are in the late fall or over the winter, as the plant life is not hiding the recently laid ooths. For mantids the best time is usually mid to late summer to early fall, as they will be later instars or adults. Seasons are further discussed below along with photos. ;)

wcooths-o.jpg

(5) Capture and retrieval (tools/equipment)

(5.1) Ooths (ootheca - oothecae)
If you are searching for ooths any container with a decent opening and tight lid will work fine (empty peanut butter jars or similar containers are perfect). I find using ziplock/sandwich bags tends to lead to lost ooths or damaged ones, as the bag does nothing to protect the ooths.

Besides something to place them into you will need something to cut and/or pry them loose with. Carolina ooths are typically attached to flat surfaces and a pocket knife or small flat/slotted screwdriver when pried slowly on one end of a ooth will remove it without damage. Some ooths can be stubborn, but after freeing a ooth end, and rocking them gently side-to-side will free them.

For ooths laid in plant growth a small pair of pruning shears are the best thing, just cut the plant above and below the ooth (see the above photo of the Chinese ooths).

You will undoubtedly come across ooths that were freshly laid, and some from several previous seasons. I've learned even if a ooth appears to have hatched completely, there still may be some eggs left to hatch. The photo above shows fresh good ooths, and the below photo are of old ooths that have already hatched (with many damaged by other insects/time/weather).

I recommend you take any ooths that appear to be old as well and put them in a container with a fine mesh lid as you may find they hatch at some point anyway (and if they don't no harm done). I had several ooths hatch that were just sitting loose, and I spent many hours searching for all the hatched nymphs from the "old" ooths.

Besides the ooths possibly being good still, it prevents you finding the same old ooths each time you search. With any good ooths you get, set them up in a incubator container. Search elsewhere on the forum for details on this topic.

In my experience plants are the primary location for Chinese ooths, and human structures (wall/fence/siding/etc) are the primary locations for Carolina ooths.

ooldooths-o.jpg

scmantids-m.jpg

tsmantids-m.jpg

(5) Capture and retrieval (tools/equipment)

(5.2) Mantids
You will need a ventilated container to place any mantids you discover into. If you are on a budget cleaned peanut butter, parmesan cheese, and similar sized containers work when many tiny holes are poked into the lids (or using a hot wire/needle).

A ideal solution is to place several empty deli cups stacked into one another into a empty plastic grocery bag and the ventilated insect lids beside them. That way they are large enough for any species, easy to carry, and ready to use.

To make it easier to carry them, I find looping my belt through the bag handles makes it hands-free (be sure to use several bags though as they often easily rip when out searching). For a better solution using a canvas bag (I made one for the purpose) to hold the containers without fear of ripping/tearing is ideal, and provides a place to securely place the captured mantid and container into with ample room.

(5.3) Capture
Once you found a mantid there are a few ways to capture it safely without hurting it in the process.

The first technique is to simply place your hand in front of it and let it crawl onto it. As they are wild mantids they may try to quickly jump off, so have a vented container nearby to place it into. Rarely they may smack your hand instead of crawling into it, but if they do that try one of the following techniques.

Another hands-on method is to gently grip the mantid around it's thorax ("neck" area behind the raptorial forearms but above the walking legs). Many mantids will clamp down onto their plant though, so you may have to use your other hand to help it carefully detach.

A quick technique which usually works best is to place a vented container under the mantid with one hand. With the other hand (holding the detached lid) coax the mantid into the container with the lid, and close it up (ensuring the mantid is completely inside).

(5.4) Nets
If you want to use a net to capture a mantid that you find, a cheap toy butterfly net will even work; however, if you plan to use it searching for mantids (sweeping foliage) or such you will need a heavy duty sweeper net. To capture a found mantid place the net beside the mantid and shake the net slightly over it, and usually that is enough for them to jump into it if you place it correctly - otherwise you will have to coax the mantid into the net.

With the mantid inside the net, place a vented container into the net with the lid removed - open end nearest the mantid. Turn the net right-side up and carefully move the net material around to put the mantid in the container, then place the lid on (ensuring the mantid is completely inside).

Searching for mantids using a net can save you lots of time, and you may even find many you would not have otherwise. For that you will need to do a quick search online on how to use a sweeper net, and sweeping techniques (it is a article onto itself). This searching technique is generally only recommended for adult mantids though as the sweeping process itself can be harmful to mantids and any nymphs will likely be damaged - so wait until late summer to use a net searching for mantids.

Butterfly nets will not withstand much (if any) of the technique before breaking,  and are best avoided for this purpose. For a good suppliers of insect sweeper nets see the following links .

Besides buying a sweeper net (it can get expensive), you can make one yourself. I've made several and the best were the ones based from this guide (ensure the canvas band is wider/longer than said though), and for the metal hoop using metal galvanized 9 gauge multipurpose/"picture-hanging" wire works great and is usually the only material to be found. I buy mine at a local hardware store (Lowe's direct link) for $10 a spool 50' (15.2m), that will make more nets than ever needed.

When making a net avoid metal clothes hangers, which is said to be a alternative metal hoop, as they always bend with each sweep (and will break quickly if attached firmly to a handle). Just a warning from several failed nets I did with them, as each was a large waste of time.

Here are some DIY guides on making nets...

(6) Searching for Ooths (Ootheca - oothecae)

For obvious reasons ooths are best searched for in late fall, over the winter, or in really early spring; otherwise the ooths are most likely empty and in few of numbers. In my area the ooths begin to hatch from May to mid-June, then in late September I can resume finding new ooths.

In late spring and the summer months though you can search for potential areas to get ooths later in the year, as you will know where to begin searching.

When possible I will indicate areas to search with red crossed lines in the photos. Some are skipped as the entire photo would be covered, so read the steps for more details.

1-ivy-o.jpg

* There is a Chinese adult mantid (Tenodera sinensis) in this image, see section (7) for the mantid circled - a close-up is in the very first title photo (top-left image).

(6.1) Step 1 - Ivy fence

The photo is the end of my car port area and the wooden fence. I allow this area to grow ivy/weeds naturally and I am rewarded with mantids, ooths, butterflies, and other wildlife.

I show it also to inform you that if you allow such a area in your own yard/property, in the following year(s) you too will have a mantid haven full of potential pets. I also find it rewarding to simply have plenty of mantids running around my property, as I leave most to run free. In the late fall though I collect any I find. :)

The best way to find ooths is in the late fall, and is covered starting below (6.7).

2-mantidhaven-o.jpg

(6.2) Step 2 - Chain link foliage

Ooths can be found on the plants as seen above, especially on the underside of the branches/stems, and in the ivy (towards the middle of the ivy plants offering the most protection from prying eyes). Plants are the primary location for Chinese ooths, and human structures tend to be the primary locations for Carolina ooths.

Besides the foliage, ooths can often be found on the chain link top bar (on the underneath) and rarely the links themselves in the fence.

Bricked homes/porches/etc. offer mantids plenty of areas to lay ooths, with most females laying ooths in the mortar between the bricks. It may sound easy to find, but the ooths tend to blend in rather well with lighter colored motor so it still takes time searching.

Any ninety-degree corner is a likely location for ooths as they offer double the protection with the close sides. Search bricks slowly and you should be rewarded with several ooths.

The mostly common location for ooths, however, tend to be in crevices and overhangs - In the photo it is the limestone top block. Females will lay ooths on the bottom edge of the stone, on the ends (between it and the brick), and any gaps under the stone and brick sides. See (6.9) below for photos of ooths found on a stone top.

3-windowbase-o.jpg

(6.3) Step 3 - Side of a house

Wood/vinyl siding or brick, are both good materials to find ooths attached. On siding look along the bottom edge of each panel - especially along the last one as it is usually where the most ooths are laid.

Searching brick is the same as (6.2) and ooths are in the mortar between the bricks.

One popular location I've found are on the backside of gutters. Females tend to lay ooths 1' (31cm) to 4' (1.2m) off the ground, but I got one from about 40' (12.2m) in a tree (see (6.5) below), so unless you are in a hurry look carefully (it is easier to search as it gets higher anyway by sight).

4-fencerow-o.jpg

(6.4) Step 4 - Fence row

Our fence is the typical 6' (1.8m) wooden slat fence, and I found the best ooth locations is the underneath of the middle supports and the backside of fence posts. Ooths can though be found on the underside of any vertical board, and I've found a few near the ground (but tends to be rare).

The fence posts though offer the ooths the most protection from weather and predators, and is why I find them there more than anywhere else - at least for Carolina ooths. For Chinese ooths I have found them simply in the middle of a fence (behind plants), as they are too large to squeeze into the tighter places.

5-tree-o.jpg

(6.5) Step 5 - Trees

This maple tree in my backyard tends to house many Carolina nymphs in the summer months. Finding ooths on it though is really difficult due to the really thick ivy that nearly covers the tree trunk all the way around and about 30' (9m)+ up.

Ooths I find on trees tend to be higher up than expected, with the lowest so far being 6' (1.8m) from the ground. On trees at my mother-in-laws house I find ooths directly on tree trunks in plain view, the underside of branches, and in the forks of branches.

The insert picture of the ooth above is on a large piece of bark that fell from about 40' (12.2m) from the tree in the picture. The top of the tree appears to have been damaged by lightning years ago, and during some high wind the large piece of bark fell into the yard from the damaged area. As I was cleaning it up I noticed a Carolina ooth on the inner edge - the ooth hatched early this year.

So how high up ooths can be found is up to the mantids who lay them. ;)

6-gate-o.jpg

(6.6) Step 6 - Fence gate

A strange crevice for a ooth, and from a high traffic area as we mainly use the back gate to enter/leave our house.

The ooth was in the middle of the top hinge area, just about 1/4" (0.6cm) from touching the close hinge. The ooth hatched naturally June 7, 2016 with the nymphs running to the nearby plants and off to the next door neighbors too.

7-fencepost-o.jpg

(6.7) Step 7 - Fence post Vs house

This year marked the second year in a row I witnessed a ooth hatch naturally from a female who laid it on the side of the fence post against the back of my house. It hatched June 5, 2016 this year, about 30 nymphs (see (7) below for a close-up of a newly hatched nymph from the ooth).

It seems in a urban setting the mantid females will pick the same locations, so after finding ooths for awhile you just have to check the usual spots for them (as I did last fall). Removing old hatched ooths also allows them to place new ooths in the same spots, so another reason to remove them - plus it saves you from finding the same old ooth repetitively.

8-siding-o.jpg

(6.8) Step 8 - Windows and siding

The above photo is the front of our house, I show it as there are few things to search for yourself at your place.

Although I never see mantids on the front of the house, other than newly hatched nymphs running to safer locations, it does turn up some ooths. The bottom overhangs of the windows is popular for finding ooths.

The bottom of the edge of siding panels is the most likely location on siding. Nearby outdoor electrical boxes, and even mailboxes are locations ooths turn up too. I don't remember finding a ooth behind our porch light, but is a likely spot, and worth searching.

9-porchslab-o.jpg

(6.9) Step 9 - Front porch stone slabs

In this area of the front porch where the porch wall meets the limestone top, is a very popular area for finding ooths.

One ooth is visible in-between in the brick corner pillar and the limestone slab. Another ooth was attached directly on the bottom edge, with the last ooth in a crevice between the limestone and brick itself. Strangely all were directly on the limestone itself and not the brick or mortar, which is likely due to the larger surface.

It is amazing that a female mantid can successfully lay a ooth in that crevice space (see the photo for how tight that is) and I've found several others in the same situation on the other porch side-walls too. In such a tight fit, I pry the end I can see loose, and using a set of long thongs/tweezers I remove it from the opening.

10-shed-o.jpg

(6.10) Step 10 - Shed/outbuilding

These types of buildings can be popular for ooths, and one of the first things I search when I'm at a city park. In this case it is my shed that houses the lawnmower and garden tools. Ooths are often found around the top edge of walls on these buildings, especially if the building is square/rectangular like the ones I find at my city parks.

One ooth I found was wedged in the space where the corner of the roof overlaps the shed walls. The other ooth is on the underside edge of the overhanging asphalt shingle.

I've also found another ooth last year on the same position on a asphalt shingle, but at the very top peak, about 8' (2.4m) off the ground.

11-deadivy-o.jpg

(6.11) Step 11 - Dead ivy fence

The biggest source of Chinese ooths for me is from the dead/dormant ivy in the fall. I find ooths on the outer portions of the ivy and slowly pull it down in layers finding more ooths as go along.

Continues to (6.14).

12-dihalf-o.jpg

(6.12) Step 12 - Dead ivy half-cleared

With the dead/dormant ivy removed in layers from the fence, many more ooths are found. In this case there were three shown in the photo.

I continue removing the ivy in layers, searching the layers for ooths, until the fence is bare. Continues to (6.14).

13-dipile-o.jpg

(6.13) Step 13 - Now bare fence

With the dead/dormant ivy removed (in layers from (6.11) & (6.12)) I look over the dead ivy again for any remaining ooths, which usually yields a few more. From the three steps I found nine Chinese ooths total removing the ivy.

The dead ivy itself can be left on the ground, put loosely back on the fence, or cut out and removed - with the same outcome though, with a full ivy growth next summer on my fence.

Also with the fence section cleared it opens up more areas for searching that once was protected, and sought after by mantids. Continues to (6.14).

14-diremoved-o.jpg

(6.14) Step 14 - Final cleared ivy search

I personally have not found any Carolina ooths in the ivy yet; however with the dead/dormant ivy removed the fence areas that once was protected by it is now searchable.

In the cleared corner I found four Carolina ooths, and two more Chinese ooths.

The Carolina ooths were attached in the usual places on the fence - except one (near the top), but that was originally covered completely by ivy so it was well protected too. The Chinese ooths were left on a tree sapling and ivy.

As demonstrated don't be afraid to do "dig" through plants on your own property. It causes minimum harm to the plants, and plenty of ooths are found that would not have been otherwise.

scmantids-m.jpg

(7) Searching for Mantids (praying mantis)

I re-show the image here to demonstrate that even of the same species in the same area (my backyard), the mantid colors/banding/etc. and even size can wildly vary. In the early to late spring any mantids found will be new hatchlings (like the one above, ooth shown in (6.7)) or early instars. It is best to leave them alone, if you can even find them, as they damage really easy and using a net or anything usually just kills them.

So keep in mind while searching that the mantid colors/banding and even instar will vary. As seen above, the pre sub-adult Carolina nymph on the leaf was found while many of it's siblings had already been adults for awhile.

The best time to find mantids starts mid to late summer (later instars and easier to find); however, if you are wanting to find a mated female wait until the beginning or mid fall, that way she is most likely mated (and has plenty of ooths left to lay).

When possible I will indicate areas to search with red crossed lines in the photos. Some are skipped as the entire photo would be covered, so read the step for more details.

1-ivy-m.jpg

(7.1) Step 1 - Ivy fence

Plenty of insect and other wildlife visits the ivy and plants, even the neighborhood cats can often be found in this area. This once again is the front-end of our car port, I let it grow wild to ensure places for mantids and butterflies to feed from.

The center circle is a adult Chinese mantid that I photographed a few days ago. The image is taken from about 4' (1.2m) from the ivy. To see a close-up of the mantid, see the very first title photo (it is the top-left mantid).

I find both of my local species (Carolina and Chinese mantids) along the ivy, getting within a foot of another (see the image in (7.7) below for the photo). For reasons unknown this seems to be the only area the Chinese mantids roam on my property, while the Carolina's can be found just about everywhere.

The mantids tend to stay well hidden, likely to avoid birds. If the ivy is moved by hand, the Chinese mantids will drop like a dead stick straight to the ground to hide. After some experience with their trick it becomes easier to find them on the ground, and while moving ivy if I see something fall it tends to be a mantid. The Carolina mantids though will simply crawl away slowly to another area once disturbed, so if they go unnoticed they can be harder to find.

2-mantidhaven-m.jpg

(7.2) Step 2 - Chain link ivy

The naturally growing area in the front side of my house. This is the area where I find the majority of my Carolina ooths in the fall, and female mantids too.

The mantids do not seem to stay around this area long, they tend to mate (I've found several couples) and lay ooths in this area before leaving. Mantids are usually found near the top bar of the chain link fence, just covered in ivy, or near the ground by the bricks of the porch.

3-windowbase-m.jpg

(7.3) Step 3 - Side of my house

I've noticed as mantids grow some like to stay at the base of the house and venture out about 1' (30.5cm) to find prey. I picked-up on the behavior as I mow the yard and I will sometimes find mantids fleeing to the siding panels or basement windows (I let them crawl into my hand and I move them to the ivy area in (7.2) to finish mowing).

Also at nights with a flashlight/headlamp it is easy to search around the base of my house for mantids sleeping. Depending on the time of year I can find five or more usually in the basement window areas sleeping till morning.

4-fencerow-m.jpg

(7.4) Step 4 - Fence row

Same as (7.3) above, but with the fence around the backyard. The mantids hunt in the 1' (30.5cm) area at the base of the fence and flee to the fence and climb when scarred.

I do not find them on the fences very often, as they seem to prefer the base of the house instead.

5-tree-m.jpg

(7.5) Step 5 - Trees

I have gotten five Carolina mantids out of the tree last fall, ranging from 10' (3m) to about 18' (5.5m) up (I run out of ladder height).

As mentioned in the above, (6.5), I have gotten a Carolina ooth from about 40' (12.2m) near the top of this tree. So it seems mantids run the height of this tree, if that is normal behavior, or due to the ivy that covers most of the tree trunk, it is unknown to me - so mantids can go as high up as you care to search it seems.

I just find it odd mantids will climb that high up on a tree.

6-roses-m.jpg

(7.6) Step 6 - Roses

A common place for Carolina nymphs, but no adults yet is the rose bush(es). I often find them near the tops of the rose bush branches, seemingly sunning themselves and catching prey.

The mantids seem to enjoy it for the rose thorns that keep things at bay, including me at times. They however do not frequent other plants that are nearly the same size (or larger), causing the thorn theory.

7-bush-m.jpg

(7.7) Step 7 - Near the ivy  - Double species wild mantids

My most recent picture, a adult Chinese mantid at top eating a cicada, and a curious pre sub-adult Carolina mantid that was watching nearby (partially hidden by a leaf at left).

I originally spotted the Carolina mantid and it seemed interested in something, with a bit of searching I found the Chinese mantid higher up. The Carolina mantid didn't seem threatened by the much larger mantid, but acted like it was trying to figure out how to get part of the meal.

The thing to point-out is even if a mantid is found, there can be others nearby, especially if they are mating. So be sure to re-check the area after capturing a mantid, before moving on.

(8) Conclusion

Now that you made it this far hopefully you are finding your own wild mantids and ooths too after a bit of trial and error, if not get out there and try. If you want to share any of your tips, or your first ever finds write a response or a link to your topic.

Still have a question or something isn't clear enough - send me a PM (private message) or respond in this topic and I'll try to help.

Best of luck on your searches!

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazing guide for new and experienced hobbyists. Thanks for sharing! 
Your welcome, and thanks for the response. I would write guides more often, but it is amazing the amount of time that goes into one (something I tend to forget until I make another). :)

I can't wait to try going on a mantis hunt! Unfortunately I don't think San Diego has any of these suitable conditions x.x
California has many other natives as well so you are bound to find something. I know one member in your state seems to find many on city street signs even.

When I first started out I didn't have much luck here either, but after doing it a few times it seems they can't hide now. :D

Just have to see if my girlfriend will come with me! lol. So I would mostly find adults this time of year, yes?
Best of luck with that, she seems to tolerate it but I doubt would help. ;) So far I can only get my younger nieces and nephews interested in bugs, to attempt searching for them.

Yes, the mantids are likely sub-adult (one molt left) or mostly adults now (I have some Carolina mantids (Stagmomantis carolina) holding out in my area, but the majority are adults). If you want to raise nymphs, wait another few weeks for the females to have mated (likely never guaranteed) - then your have plenty of little ones to keep you busy over the winter (unless you diapause the ooths till spring (like in nature)).

Dang...

Good job once again sir. ^_^
Thanks, I kept as simple as I could as I can ramble on - after all mantids are a topic I like to talk about. :D

Amazing article! I use many similar methods, but I never tried checking trees. Thanks for the advice! :)

Thanks for the wonderful post. I enjoy reading it through! That double species at ivy tree is pretty cool. Looks like you live in mantis heaven :)  

Luck and a pair of keen eyes play an important role in spotting mantis, but I think the chance of finding one increases with experience too. Happy hunting forum members. This and next months are the best time for finding adult mantis.

Amazing article! I use many similar methods, but I never tried checking trees. Thanks for the advice! :)
Thanks, and your welcome. It seems the smaller the tree the better luck I've had when searching, but as seen they are found in large ones too. You got me curious though, are there any methods you use that work better/easier? I'm up for learning new tips myself. ;)

Best of luck with your searches.

Thanks for the wonderful post. I enjoy reading it through! That double species at ivy tree is pretty cool. Looks like you live in mantis heaven :)  

Luck and a pair of keen eyes play an important role in spotting mantis, but I think the chance of finding one increases with experience too. Happy hunting forum members. This and next months are the best time for finding adult mantis.
Your welcome, and many thanks for the response Yen. Indeed, with the bit of wild growth they have really taken off on my small city lot. :)

If you find some time I'd like to hear about any techniques or tips you use. As I know you have searched various environments, find elusive species (like the Phyllovates chlorophaea), not to mention years of experience. :D

This looks like an awesome guide! I haven't read it all yet, but I've bookmarked it for future reading. I've done a bit of mantis searching while out herping but have never had any luck, maybe it's time to try again! :)

Thanks, and your welcome. It seems the smaller the tree the better luck I've had when searching, but as seen they are found in large ones too. You got me curious though, are there any methods you use that work better/easier? I'm up for learning new tips myself. ;)

Best of luck with your searches.

Your welcome, and many thanks for the response Yen. Indeed, with the bit of wild growth they have really taken off on my small city lot. :)

If you find some time I'd like to hear about any techniques or tips you use. As I know you have searched various environments, find elusive species (like the Phyllovates chlorophaea), not to mention years of experience. :D
I tend to look on bushes that are about a foot above the ground. When I was in India, I found bark mantids by waving my hand over the tree trunks and getting them to move. The main things I look for are symmetry and movement. 

This looks like an awesome guide! I haven't read it all yet, but I've bookmarked it for future reading. I've done a bit of mantis searching while out herping but have never had any luck, maybe it's time to try again! :)
Thanks, indeed if you are looking for adult mantids now is the perfect time of year to find them. I imagine being in Texas you find plenty to keep you busy when your herping anyway. ;)

I tend to look on bushes that are about a foot above the ground. When I was in India, I found bark mantids by waving my hand over the tree trunks and getting them to move. The main things I look for are symmetry and movement. 
Good tip on making them move by waving your hand over trees. I do something similar with weeds and stick, just to watch them move. :) I'll have to give the tree tip a try, I imagine it really would help. Thanks.

Sorry i missed out your reply. No special techniques really. But knowing where is the mantis 'preferred' spot helps, which is very much depending on the species, adult female P. chlorophaea for example, almost always been found close to the top of plants.

Sorry i missed out your reply. No special techniques really. But knowing where is the mantis 'preferred' spot helps, which is very much depending on the species, adult female P. chlorophaea for example, almost always been found close to the top of plants.
No problem, it happens. ;) Too bad, as it would be great if there was a secret technique to something like this that would make finding them easier. Seems patience, experince, and searching good locations are the best tricks.

Interesting to see the P. chlorophaea hide out at the tops of plants (much like the species I find on plants). I should see if I can find some long lost cousin or something in Texas as an excuse to go searching for some one day. :D

I'm not sure if this was mentioned before, but if I'm covering a field I always start on the side where the sun is coming from. For example, if it is 4 pm in PA I'll start in the W-SW area. Mantids in the US like to sun themselves so it is a bit easier in my opinion doing things in this direction.

Today I found some Chinese and Narrow-wings in PA with this old technique in a previously un-examined field. The field adjacent had some Europeans as well.

Latest posts