Belize vaca, advice welcome

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guapoalto049

Reaction score
I'll be heading there in a few months, no specific plans yet. If anyone has experience here please post your experience with bug hunting.

I'm going to try Air BnB at some farm location and see what I can find. In my past experience, the dense jungles aren't the best for finding mantids other than some Liturgusa on the sides of trees. So far the best place I've found the best was the grasslands of Serengeti. Saw many species there without much searching, so I'll try and find some similar field habitats in Belize.

Got a good feeling about the farm lands. If you read mantid papers, they often find great diversity at farm sites and in the primary forest (top of the trees)

The farm sites that work best are the cocoa plantations because they are usually built into a tropical forest and are surrounded by forest. The mantids like macromantis and pseudoxyops are commonly found on the trees in the plantations. In savanna habitats you should be able to find some brunneria sp. along with many  thespidae and stagmomantis. I know some people on facebook from Belize who occasionally find choeradodis.

Don't know much about Belize except that you can find some really beautiful white Panchlora sp roaches there. :)

Last edited by a moderator: