Next Choice

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDazz

Reaction score
I really like my girl but I want to move up to an exo terra 12x12x18 for my next mantis... 

@CosbyArt or any person with great knowledge can help...

Looking for a species possibly more aggressive than my lineola, can deal with higher temps (high 80's to low 90's... yes my place is a sweat shop) and with dealing with live plants maybe moist a lhigher humidity. 

Thanks.

@BigDazz Thanks, but I am not one of the more knowledgeable members here, just someone that gets on here daily to talk. ;)

Well for common mantid species that can deal with the temperature and humidity range, some species are Orchids (Hymenopus coronatus), Twig mantis (Popa spurca), Giant shield mantis (Rhombodera sp.), and Ghosts (Phyllocrania paradoxa). Mainly you will find species that do fine with temperatures in the 80's, but reaching 90's is not as common.

All species do well with plants, after all they live with them outside. ;) The aggressiveness though is highest with the Rhombodera, yet is easy to hand tame. It also is one of the higher temperature species as it can tolerate 90F (Orchids being the other). So with all things considered I would tell you to try one of the Rhombodera species next; although, they can be a bit tough to find available, so the runner-up would be a Orchid mantis.

Here is one of my ladies :)

image.jpg

What about Griffins? They're aggressive as well towards prey, or the double shields.
Griffins (Polyspilota griffinii) top out in temperatures of 82F (28C), Polyspilota sp. care sheet. Double shields (Pnigomantis medioconstricta) can handle even less heat at 77 F (25C), their care sheet. Though as I've kept both species in room temperatures (72-76F (22-24C)) without issue, so the increased heat BigDazz is referring to would likely kill them.

Aggressiveness wise they would met or exceed that requirement, just they wouldn't fair well (if at all) in his temperature range. ;)

Griffins (Polyspilota griffinii) top out in temperatures of 82F (28C), Polyspilota sp. care sheet. Double shields (Pnigomantis medioconstricta) can handle even less heat at 77 F (25C), their care sheet. Though as I've kept both species in room temperatures (72-76F (22-24C)) without issue, so the increased heat BigDazz is referring to would likely kill them.

Aggressiveness wise they would met or exceed that requirement, just they wouldn't fair well (if at all) in his temperature range. ;)
Ah... yeah, I've always kept mine at room temp without issues as well. :p