Small low-maintenance species?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flidais

Reaction score
Hello, I am thinking of getting some of those terrariums that you mount to the wall and modifying to allow for mantids (I could have pretty decor for guests to see and mantids for me to enjoy!)... But would need to be able to purchase some type of rather small, easy-to-care for mantis for them.  

It's something I would look to start maybe next spring or in a year or so, but want to get my mind wrapped around it...

It would have to be an easy to care for mantis, not too humid (daily misting), not too warm required 70-80, so we would be able to maintain the environment fairly easily without mounting other things to the terrarium.

Any ideas?  I think most of them are no bigger than 6" round, 4" wide, so the mantis would need to be less than 2" as an adult (factoring substrate)?

I am new to this hobby but from what I've kept, a ghost mantis might be a great candidate. Just make sure to offer him/her water every other day and throw some fruit flies in their enclosure every 3-4 days misting every 3-5 days and they'll do fine in my experience. They don't get too big either. One more thing is no direct sunlight.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Flidais Some good commonly available species that aren't difficult to keep and would do fine with typical care and room temperatures are the Egyptian pygmy mantises (Miomantis paykullii) that max out about 1.5" or less, any of the Miomantis sp. do in size. Another one is the Japanese boxer mantis (Acromantis japonica) which reach about 1" as adults.