Rhombodera Basalis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crabbypatty

aka Mad Mantis
Reaction score
Can anyone direct me towards a Rhombodera Basalis caresheet? If anyone has had one I'd like to know how as much info as possible. @CosbyArt maybe you can help since you know everything, haha.  :p

They're a hardy species, so the basics apply.

You can keep em warm and drier (temp ~80-85, 40% humidity) during the day, cooler and moist at night (~70 F with 60-70% humidity). I mist and use a fogger to keep humidity up. Give them good gripping surface on top since they hang out upside down usually. I use shelf liner and/or twigs. Glass terraria are easy to control temp and humidity.

Rhombodera are very cannibalistic, so keep them separated into deli cups stacked inside the glass terraria for control of environment. Height should be at least 3 times the mantid's length, and wide enough to roam some. I've kept L1-2 in small styrofoam cups, then upgrade to the clear deli cups that Rebecca and others sell. Some small species can stay in these cups to adulthood (Creobroter, Ceratomantis, Tropidomantis, et al species < 3 cm), but R. basalis needs bigger. I separate a glass terrarium with home-made dividers into 3 sections for larger species. This allows for 6 adults in 2 standard 10 gallon terraria. 

L1 take fruit flies. L2 can start house flies. L3 can start small roaches and crickets. Crickets are an easy feeder since they're available from pet stores, but I've found they often make mantids unhealthy. Roach colonies are best and turkish reds/red runners are less smelly and don't climb.

R. basalis hit 8-9 cm as adult females, males are 1 cm less.

They're a hardy species, so the basics apply.

You can keep em warm and drier (temp ~80-85, 40% humidity) during the day, cooler and moist at night (~70 F with 60-70% humidity). I mist and use a fogger to keep humidity up. Give them good gripping surface on top since they hang out upside down usually. I use shelf liner and/or twigs. Glass terraria are easy to control temp and humidity.

Rhombodera are very cannibalistic, so keep them separated into deli cups stacked inside the glass terraria for control of environment. Height should be at least 3 times the mantid's length, and wide enough to roam some. I've kept L1-2 in small styrofoam cups, then upgrade to the clear deli cups that Rebecca and others sell. Some small species can stay in these cups to adulthood (Creobroter, Ceratomantis, Tropidomantis, et al species < 3 cm), but R. basalis needs bigger. I separate a glass terrarium with home-made dividers into 3 sections for larger species. This allows for 6 adults in 2 standard 10 gallon terraria. 

L1 take fruit flies. L2 can start house flies. L3 can start small roaches and crickets. Crickets are an easy feeder since they're available from pet stores, but I've found they often make mantids unhealthy. Roach colonies are best and turkish reds/red runners are less smelly and don't climb.

R. basalis hit 8-9 cm as adult females, males are 1 cm less.
Hey thanks! Very helpful, I don't feed any of my mantids crickets anyway so we're good there too, I'm excited to start on a new species :)

Not a difficult species. Any care sheet for Rhombodera, Hierodula,Sphodromantis, etc will work. 

Anybody know their lifespan? I read that they live longer than most mantids but no specification on how long. Thanks!

@crabbypattyI keep mine under a heat lamp and mist them daily. They love drinking! They'll eat practically anything. Rebecca's care sheet is very good. One of mine recently molted to subadult! They're so interesting and energetic.

Latest posts