Newbie questions

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zuzu

Reaction score
Since I'll be getting at least one mantis next week, I thought I would ask some questions I've had before they arrive. Most of them are related to molting, haha.

1. What do you do when a mantis is about to molt? I've read from one place that said you mist them, and another that said you don't because it is easier on the mantis if dry. Which is correct? 

2. How do you know when a mantis is about to molt? I know that they start hanging upside down and lose their appetite, but anything else? Do they get less active, will their color change, etc?

3. Is it possible for a mantis to be in an incorrect/dangerous position during molt, and if so, would I be able to help correct them? If so, how would I do it?

4. On another forum, users were having an argument on when it is safe to handle a mantis after molt. My opinion is shared with one user, in that it should be fine after they have hardened fully (I'd give it about a day). Another user said no, that's not safe, and you should wait 3 days. What is your opinion?

5. Opinion on feeding bugs caught from outside or in the home (houseflies, butterflies, moths, dragonflies)? During the spring and summer, we get a lot of dragonflies and butterflies that I would love to be able to catch as mantis treats if it's safe.

Thank you for any replies, answers, and information!

1. If I can tell they're about to molt I mist just a tad more than usual. When I see that they're already molting or drying I avoid it, since they need to harden now that they're out. 

2. Sometimes when mine are about to molt they look opaque and crunchy almost, if that makes sense. If I try and feed them they'll just strike at the food and not want it. I do offer water and they take it. They'll hang a bit more loosely from the top of their enclosure and not move, sometimes holding their raptors just a bit away from their bodies. 

3. Yeah I've heard of mantis trying to molt from the side of their cages instead of from the top. If it has begun to molt o wouldn't touch it, but I would keep an eye out just in case. If it falls and you're there, you can pinch the old exo with tweezers and hold it upright, helping the mantis complete the molt. If it's looking opaque and ready to molt and it's in an incorrect position just grab it and move it to the top.

4. For younger smaller instars I can tell they're ready to handle after a day, I start waiting at least 48hrs for larger species or when they're sub or adult. I'm sure delicate species like idolos probably need longer. 

5. I like catching flies from outside when possible, lol, free food. Plus the mantids love flying insects. I've caught moths too. I actually just captured a couple for my Creobroter, haha. Yum! I wouldn't feed them any cockroach from outside though, or crickets, idk, you never know if they've ingested poison. I'm paraniod about those. 

That's what I personally do with mine, hope that helps! 

1. I don't have enough experience with mine yet to be able to tell when they're about to molt with much accuracy. I mist mine every night because the air is very dry in Arizona, and it hasn't been a problem. Once they begin molting, however, I don't disturb them until at least the day after. 

2. Again, I'm not very good at judging molts yet, but mine have looked fat, like they ate too much, and they will change color a bit.

3. Yes, they can molt from a poor position. If you have them in a container without substrate you can shift it a little or brace it against something so they hang correctly. 

4. I replied in that thread as well. I avoid it as long as possible but I have handled mine about 24 hours after a molt with no ill effects. As long as they're walking onto you and you're not grabbing them I don't think it's too worrisome.

5. I only use feeder crickets and flies. I'd be worried about anything I caught having been exposed to pesticides, but I live in an apartment complex that does pest control treatments. In a more rural area I wouldn't worry about it.

1. I mist a bit more when I know my mantises are about to molt. That or I ensure my humidifier is hooked up and keeping the humidity at optimum levels. I am not sure if this is correct but I would assume its much easier to wiggle your way out of a soft flexible bag then a stiff dry one. I would think it'd be the same as shedding in reptiles, low humidity makes the shed stick and become unpleasant, with a mantis though its death rather then discomfort you're trying to avoid.

2. After a few molts you will just start to know. As others have already said they start to look "crunchy" they may also begin to look a bit fat and straining to stay in their skin as they get bigger. Not eating is the biggest tell tale I've found however.

3. Oh yes, they can fail in a number of ways. I have had some molt from the stupidest places despite much better perches being provided. As has already been said you can try to carefully move them but its a judgement call. I had one nearly bottom out and I was able to just pick up the stick he was on and hold it til he had finished his business. 

4. I always give it a day or so before handling. If the mantis is moving about and looks hardened its probably ok. I have not had any problems as of yet. 

5. I live in a rural area and constantly catch free bugs outside. I would not do so if I was in the city as the chance for complications is far higher.

I'm new to mantis keeping and all the above answers are good, but I just wanted to add that I have been able to have a good idea of when my mantises are going to molt soon by keeping track of their previous molts.  Knowing that they will likely go at a minimum the same number of days as between their last molts, I can guess when they are coming close.  My L6 (I think) Chinese mantises have gone 17-19 days between molts so far, and the one that is due to molt next is at day 21 since the last molt, so I've been keeping a closer eye on him.  He ate today though so he must not be quite ready yet...  But, I believe the time between molts gets longer as they get older so it makes sense.

Hope it helps.

Thank you guys for the responses and info! I have another queston:

How much/how often should I feed a nymph? My L2 hierodula venosa ate four whole fruit flies yesterday when I got it (!!). 

Last edited by a moderator:
@Zuzu

What argument? I didn't see one. Err, they copied my username.... :ph34r:

There's really no defined interval you need to use when feeding; I've always just given food when their abdomen is looking small. When my Hierodula membranacea nymph was in her first few instars (3-5) I was feeding her fruit flies one or two times a day.

This question had me all tied up in knots at one point (when I first got a nymph, I fed her two fruit flies a day :S), but after I had my mantis for a few weeks I just sort of got into a routine I'd devised through trial and error.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Zuzu like @GingerC said, I just eye ball it on the feeding. I like to keep the little ones plumped up, haha. Out of all the species I've owned, my Decimiana bolivari are the only ones that are picky about the number of fruit flies I put in there. 

Likewise I have just been eyeballing it.  I am on my first mantises and I was worried about feeding the right amount too but it didn't take long to get used to what a plump mantis looks like.  I had them in bigger enclosures than they needed as smaller nymphs so I just put 5-10 fruit flies in there at a time and let the mantises find them over time.  That method seemed to be okay.

Latest posts