Humidity

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@crabbypatty I have 5 chinese praying mantids right now. Although I will be getting ghost mantids and i know they like humidity, but i don't know the best way to get humidity other than misting.

Misting is usually just fine, but if it's not enough for your setup, you can try dribbling small amounts of water into the substrate. That's what I do for my scorpion.

Just be careful not to turn it into a swamp. ;)

Misting is fine. For mine I put some coco fiber in the bottom of the container and keep it moist. That seems to be plenty of humidity for my ghosts.

@Logan_123 Some of the older posts from various forum members a few years back talk about ghosts and humidity a lot. Some said low some high in the habitat.

But few talked about relative-humidity. What is the relative humidity of the room or house? If I mist a habitat to 60% humidity but my room is at 24%, how long till the habitat adjusts back to room humidity? How about if the room is 40 or 50%?  Then we get into temperatures. Warm air holds more water vapor than cold. Are the habitats at a higher temperature than the room(house)?

The only real reason I bring this up is because what one does may not work for another. But when most get the best results doing mostly the same thing it is usually a good place to start and go from there, adapting as you need to your circumstances.

What surprised me was a member who raised orchids with seemingly no problems for generations but could not raise any of the so called "beginner species".

Like other have said for ghosts I've been fine with just misting their containers, and like @Zeppy44 mentioned if your house has very low humidity (which is pretty common during winter due to heating) then it might be something to look into a room humidifier to pair up with misting to keep things in ideal conditions.  With creativity you can also rig up a humidifier with tubing into individual containers and a humidistat switch which would automatically keep things at a set humidity but requires some tinkering.