Ghost mantis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Logan_123

Reaction score
Hello, I might be getting some ghost mantids and I was wondering if i could get any tips for them? Like what kind of plant should I get, or like size of enclosure. When i say what kind of plant should I get, I mean like what plant you suggest that works well for you or mantids.

Last edited by a moderator:
When mine was a nymph I placed him in a deli cup with a cloth lid and misted once a day. Fed fruit flies and gave him a skewer and a fake leaf to perch on. I don't use real plants inside their homes, all fake. I have orchid flowers I use for pictures, but that's it. 

While this thread already exists i though I should ask my question here instead of making a brand new thread, Some places i have read you can keep ghosts comunally. And some places i have read you can't so which on is it? I have a large terrarium that I would love til fill with a couple of ghosts ^^

I have heard that they are communal. Although there is a tiny chance they might eat each other, but thats usually if you don't feed them enough. If they are good on food they shouldn't cannibalize.

I have heard that they are communal. Although there is a tiny chance they might eat each other, but thats usually if you don't feed them enough. If they are good on food they shouldn't cannibalize.
This is true....I always keep my ghost communal, and only had one instance of cannibalism, and it was an already mated adult female eating an adult male, who was trying to mate with her, and she was not interested. Keeping everyone housed separately by sex once adult is a good safeguard against it as well.

Anytime you put mantids together, even communal species, there's a chance of cannibalism. The only thing you can do to try and avoid it is to keep them well fed, but even then sometimes a mantis goes rogue, haha. @moldveien 

@moldveien

When we say "communal", what we really mean is "less inclined to have their tankmates for lunch". You can keep them together fine as long as they're well fed. ^-^

Agreed... Keep well fed and separate by sex once able to distinguish males from females... Safest play with ?

But.... It still happens ?

Latest posts