leaf litter

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bugs In Cyberspace has a leaflitter soil mix that has plenty of leaves in it. If you just want the leaves, I've gotten the oak leaves from Josh's Frogs. My millipedes have been chowing down on the oak leaves with no problems.

When I collect leaf litter for my millipede and beetle substrate I go deep into some woods, about 50 yards from any man-made structures or roads. That way I can be pretty certain that there are no pesticides on it. When I get it home, I put it in the microwave for a minute or two to make sure there are no mites or predators that I may have missed. Why do you want leaf litter for a mantis? Climbing structure?

Ah, okay. In that case you want to make sure the leaf litter is already decayed so it makes good food for the isopods. This is a pretty good time of year for it since the most recently fallen leaves have already decayed a bit. The best stuff will be slightly below the surface though. I'm talking about the brown stuff that is over a year old. The wind tends to cause it to pile up near the above ground roots of large trees (at least in my area). Hopefully you have access to a deciduous forest. If not, my advice is useless. 

Hey

Any kind of leaves, like @InvertsandOi! said, that you may find in a forest that look generally untouched. @InvertsandOi! mentioned you can stick them in the microwave which is a good idea. You can also bake any kind of substrates / sticks / barks etc in the oven for 10-15 mins on low heat (be careful when applying heat to anything potentially flammable) to get rid of anything that may be lingering on it. You can use a big old baking tray and load it up with the substrates, it works well.

Good luck!