Orchid mantis stripe

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derpderpderp

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm back again with 5 orchid mantises, they are between 2-3 L and the seller said he can't tell the L himself, I bought 2 females and 3 males but when i fed the other female it just ran away and it did not behave like an female, so the idea was I think the seller gave me 4 males instead of 2 but I wanted to make sure so apparently orchid mantis have stripes to tell if it's a male or female but my mantis stripes haven't appeared, can you guys give me a answer on what L when the stripes appear, because I am very worried. Thank you and reply soon! Thanks

If they are indeed L2, sexing by the abdomen is not yet reliable. If they are L3, you can check if they are female by checking for the presence of a cleft in the subgenital plate, or the last large segment on the underside of the abdomen.

They do not differ in behavior by sex until they are adults, so that is not any indicator of what you have. Sometimes they're not hungry or they are feeling intimidated by something you did or by the prey and respond to approaching prey by running.