I got my first Mantis!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mantidkid

Reaction score
On Tuesday I got my first praying mantis. I called him/her Manny/Mannie (depends if it's a male or female)  any advice on molting? It is l2 currently

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
If they don't eat for a day or two, they're probably going to molt, so that's the time to just leave them alone outside of misting the habitat as long as it doesn't disturb them. Mine usually molt when I'm asleep or at work, so I've never actually witnessed it.

May I suggest you get rid of all the vermiculite. They will be impossible to keep clean leading to many health problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed on removing the substrate and going with easy to change papertowls. Best method for enclosure hygiene, especially in the long run.

To really do it right you should add some type of fabric for traction on at least one of the four sides inside the enclosure. Some species can cling to the sides of glass or plastic, while others cannot. But either way a true gripping surface will enhance the functionality of the enclosure for your pet. A gripping surface on the top of the enclosure is mandatory. Eliminating any chance of Mismolts is the name of the game!

Agreed on removing the substrate and going with easy to change papertowls. Best method for enclosure hygiene, especially in the long run.

To really do it right you should add some type of fabric for traction on at least one of the four sides inside the enclosure. Some species can cling to the sides of glass or plastic, while others cannot. But either way a true gripping surface will enhance the functionality of the enclosure for your pet. A gripping surface on the top of the enclosure is mandatory. Eliminating any chance of Mismolts is the name of the game!
Should I just replace vermiculite often because I have a lot of it

Nice! I'd agree with the others on vermiculite as a bad choice for a standard substrate. I use it as a water absorption layer in my bio-enclosures, that's really what it's best for :).

Latest posts