Two things going on

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benayla

Reaction score
Well, following my successful but nightmarish attempt at breeding my Hierodula Memebranacea Mantises, I now have two Ootheeca. One of them was laid just over six weeks ago, so I'm left wondering when it's going to hatch. I've kept the cage within the correct Humidity range, and everything else. If it's longer than six weeks does anyone know how long it takes the Nymphs of this Species to hatch?? 

Then there's the female that laid these two egg cases, the last of my first generation still alive (Dracula died of old age last week). She's been holding the same live cricket in her claws for like three days now. Not eating it or anything, just standing there holding it, why is that??

@Benayla  Of the wild captured ooth & tame cultivated ootheca that I have hatched all have come in under 6 weeks , any that I incubated longer never produced.  Now I am fairly new in the trade and have not experienced numerous species.  I have incubated several Tenoderas , Blepharopsis , Creobroter and Miomantis all except the Tenoderas are smaller species tho it doesn't seem to dictate the length of gestation.  .............  The other actions of your female do seem ''weird'' but aren't we all some what..... S

The first Ootheca has since hatched, and already we're down to the last Mantis standing from it (All were given fruit flies and water, but a couple nights ago the second last one dropped dead out of nowhere). 

So the last one's doing well, its mother appears to be eating again. Just got them both Crickets, the Nymph getting the very smallest Petco had (It'Z difficult to get Fruit Flies in the cage). 

Latest posts