One nymph.... or five?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GingerC

Reaction score
I've decided I need more baby mantises in my life, and so I've been shopping around online, gathering resources at home, and thinking about it a lot.

I found a site where I can buy a giant rainforest mantis (fell in love with those guys first time I ever saw one), which is a little expensive, but really tempting me... but so is the idea of raising a group of nymphs and even breeding them at the end.

I probably can't do that with the rainforest mantis because of the price, although maaaaaybe my powers of persuasion can get my parents to buy one of them and a few of another kind; I do tend to overestimate how cheap my parents are, lol.

I guess the purpose of this post is really just to hear what you guys would do in the same situation, since I really am completely lost here. If you've ever had a giant rainforest mantis (Hierodula majuscula), I'd also be interested in hearing your experiences.

I actually think keeping up with more than a couple is a little exhausting, because I'm always checking where they are in the habitat, humidity, how big their abdomen is to know if they need more or less food, cleaning out the cages, etc. It gets much more difficult when they're different species, and have different requirements.

I started with two ghosts, and that was the perfect amount of work for me. Now that I have 5, it's a bit much.

Some mantids don't do well with inbreeding. Most likely the vendor is selling nymphs from the same parent, but asks them about it. Also, make sure the website is safe. Ask for reviews either here or on Reddit or something. Other than that, I have no experience with that species. But I say if you want to try breeding them, there's a first time for everything.

Don't let them get to you like chips. I think Thrillhouse has a sensible idea. Too many to care for becomes hard duty instead of enjoyment. I think most of us go thru the more is better stage.

Don't let them get to you like chips. I think Thrillhouse has a sensible idea. Too many to care for becomes hard duty instead of enjoyment. I think most of us go thru the more is better stage.
Agreed, I had no time to enjoy my mantises when I suddenly ended up with 20 or so adults. Its a LOT of work to keep up with a large number of them.

@GingerC The people above make good points. But it also depends on you. How much free time do you have? Are you responsible enough to have 40+ nymphs? Do you have enough experience? Do you have a way to house them?

And if you choose to get them, where will you house the babies?

Last edited by a moderator:
All good points to think about before getting lost in the hobby. Keeping mantis is great. Being over whelmed with too many becomes a dreary obligation keeping up with just feeding and cleaning. Staying at a level where you enjoy them and can keep them flourishing, that is the sweet spot, in my humble opinion.

Good luck which ever way you go. When they turn their heads to look at you gets me every time.

For years I raised Killie fish and sold the offspring not kept for breeding. One year cleared a little over $ 7,000.00 after expenses just from the sales to local fish shops. While the extra money was great it had become a job with not a lot of time for the enjoyment I used to have with the fish. Not what I really wanted.

Luckily with mantis I never had to separate a hatch of 100's of L1 nymphs looking to eat each other. LOL My hat is off to the breeders that can do that well.

I will echo what many have said about taking care of too many. It gets to be alot of work but if you have the right place and right equipment for it, it does make it a bit easier. I personally enjoy taking care of 3-4 mantids at a time with little to no problems. The Hierodula Majuscula is one of my favorite mantis. Very friendly, and loved to climb and hang off big green leaves or the highest branch it could find. The male would attempt to fly from one spot to another from time to time and would constantly try to mate with the female(s). 

ruv8uf.jpg

https://ibb.co/nwa5YF

Last edited by a moderator:
Idk for me the more the better. But i hardly have any friends. My bf and very few friends. Id rather have a ton. I dont like dealing with people anyway.

@GingerC I personally love love love having several at a time! I have about 40+ mantids now. This is a hobby I really enjoy, along with arts and crafts. I do only work part time though, so I have the time to care for all of my bugs. I'm also remodeling a room for them so I can house them comfortably, also tons of fun. My arts and projects revolve around my mantids, so I know that for me it's going to be a life long hobby. It just depends on you really, but it can be done, they've brought me a lot of joy. ????