Violin mantis or giraffe mantis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mantis Man13

Reaction score
I am deciding between these. I want to know ease of care for both and any other things i would need to know about them.

Don't know which one a giraffe mantis is but for violins, they are not that difficult if you provide suitable heating and flying insects. Also they can't climb plastic or glass walls.

Yeah, I have never raised a giraffe mantis, but I have kept many violins! I would definitely recommend them, they are some of the most interesting mantises I have ever kept!

Both are great...

Violins need 80-90f heat and only flies, no Crickets, net cube is ideal as they can't climb and should have proper ventilation... All really do! Mist indirectly once or twice a week. They get most of their hydration from flies. Be prepared to manage Blue Bottle flies as a staple diet. Having a good grip surface additionally on the top of the net Cube Beyond just the net Cube fabric is important as doing so can limit the Mismolt chances. They originated in environments that are dry and arid.

Giraffe mantids the main difference is that they are used to higher levels of humidity and this can lead to miss Molts if not considered. Stick with house flies and blue bottle flies when they get older. Net Cube because they also will get large like violins.

Two of my favorite species. You can't go wrong with either.

Good luck

you guys kill me, the giraffe is common name is Long neck. The new people keep renaming the mantis so when one is offered

to me, I have to ask just which species are they talking about :tt2:

Last edited by a moderator:
I love my new Euchomanella Heteroptera. I think its l3/l4... not quite sure how old or what sex as its is way too small to tell. Cute little bug, has intricate patterns on its face, raptors, and legs. Thanks to mantisplace for getting it to me in such great shape. I've only had it for about a couple of weeks now and so far what i'm noticing in comparison to some other species i've owned is that it really loves leafless sticks which really makes it easy to make a proper habitat. It spends most its time hanging upside down with its body perched at 45 degrees high up at the top of the branch. It seems to use its long neck to climb adverse overhangs which really distinguished its ability to climb better than some others i've had. So far it has only eaten stable flies, baby earwigs, baby firebrats and fruit flies. I tried giving it some baby crickets but seems to be a bit skittish/afraid around them so it refuses to catch or try them. It seems to be much more passive than aggressive spending most its time just waiting for food to come by to nab it rather than stalk/hunt it. 

you guys kill me, the giraffe is common name is Long neck. The new people keep renaming the mantis so when one is offered

to me, I have to ask just which species are they talking about :tt2:
Several years back there was a very long thread about the problem of common vs scientific nomenclature. Particularly when one common name may be applied to multiple different mantis. The only possible positive way to do it is with the proper name. lol hard enough to remember one name much less that plus all the "common names" it might go by.

Latest posts