Deroplatys: Trigonodera vs. Lobata

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

River Dane

Reaction score
I really love Deroplatys sp., they're beautiful! So I've been looking into all the different species, and saw the two, Trigonodera and Lobata. 

I didn't find much info on the Google, so I must ask here: what are the main differences between the two? Which one is easier to care for? What is the care of each species?

Thanks!

The only difference between the two is the hood shapes for them and the slight physical differences. Both are the same in care, would recommend being a bit more careful with trigonodera, as they are rare. 

The only difference between the two is the hood shapes for them and the slight physical differences. Both are the same in care, would recommend being a bit more careful with trigonodera, as they are rare. 
Okay, interesting. Is there any particular reason Trigonodera is rarer? 

Its more of a rarity type thing. As trigonodera even in europe is rare, and that typically getting mantids from outside the USA is a taboo on this forum, I'll pm you explaining it. Truncatas are a bit more common then trigonodera, but rarer than dessicata/lobata. 

Yeah trigonoderas are much harder to find, haven't found them myself yet but atm I have dessicatas and truncatas so I'm fine with deroplatyses. If you haven't kept deroplatys yet, start with dessicata, they are the easiest. Also their males have only 1 molt less than females and live long, unlike truncata and lobata who have 2 molts difference. 

Yeah trigonoderas are much harder to find, haven't found them myself yet but atm I have dessicatas and truncatas so I'm fine with deroplatyses. If you haven't kept deroplatys yet, start with dessicata, they are the easiest. Also their males have only 1 molt less than females and live long, unlike truncata and lobata who have 2 molts difference. 
Yes, I have a female Desiccata. How easy are they to breed? I kind of want to get a male for her, but I don't know if I should try or not.

Latest posts