biting

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EatPrayLove

Reaction score
I am new to the mantis world. So far, the only claim I have to my new hobby is a sharp learning curve. I hatched an egg case for my kindergarten class and ordered an extra one to hatch at home. I have a few T. Sinensis left that are about 3 months old now.  Recently, I've been bitten - more than once! 

I planned to raise these few to bring back to the school in the fall but I'm now worried they may bite the kiddos....? 

? more feeding?

? more water ?

What am I missing?

Have you been handling feeders or anything they might be interested in before handling the mantises? I have had a few nibble on me if my hands were not clean but all the biting incidents I have encountered have been from sick mantises. There was one female that just liked to bite people but she was a weirdo. 

Are you perhaps picking them up quickly or in a way that stresses them out?

I've haven't been bitten but almost. I have an adult female and they are just thinking about eating lol. The way I picked her up made her think my finger may have been food haha. Maybe when picking up do so slower. And make sure not to pick them up with just one finger as I did.

I'm a little late to this thread, but how are you handling the mantises and how often? You should never pick them up; you have to get them to walk onto you, and be careful to make sure that the mantis touches you and not the other way around. My dad was holding my mantis once, and the mantis didn't want to sit still. My dad was frantic not to lose him and was shoving his hand against the raptorial legs to get it on his other hand before it could escape, and that made things worse because of how skittish it made the mantis.

I've read written accounts and seen videos of wild mantises attacking when handled, but from my personal experience with captive mantises, they're pretty mellow creatures. When I got my first mantis in the mail, he was pretty skittish, but after I started handling him regularly it got to the point that he'd tolerate being poked and prodded to a fair extent, and would simply walk away if I was too annoying. I recommend you start handling the nymphs once a week or so and see if there's a change in their behavior.

I've held a lot of wild mantises and their main instinct is to run, not bite; never had a single one bite me even when being grabbed. I'm sure it's possible but simpler to just get away than fight.

High chance your mantises are smelling or mistaking your hands for food? Are their abdomens nice and plump, or are they thin? You can try washing hands thoroughly beforehand and see if that helps. Handling them regularly will definitely get them more used to it before you bring them to the kiddos, I let mine sit around on plants so they can get used to commotion and being around people first.

When I hatched an ooth with preschoolers and ended up with a few adults, I always really emphasized flat palms with all fingers together to the kids. Make those hands look like a good walking zone to keep the mantises from getting freaked out by grabby hands :)

Last edited by a moderator:
How are the bites occurring and are all the mantises doing it or just a particular one? Are they striking at you in general handling or are these nibble bites where they bend down and start chewing on you?

This species can be rather chewy when they think they sense something. A lot of mantises will just bend down and gently nibble so that it tickles, but some mantises will take a full on bite to see if what they think might be food is actually food. You can minimize this by making sure your hands are nice and clean before holding. Feeding and watering the mantis prior to holding will also help. My advice as far as kids though if you find certain mantises are prone to doing this then simply don't use that mantis for handling.

I often bring mantises along with me for family gatherings for the kiddos to enjoy, but I tend to be picky about what mantises I choose because not all of them will mix well with kids. You want to select one that is neither overly skittish, yet chill enough that if someone gets over eager they aren't likely to lash out. With this particular species you also need to be aware of their jumping abilities when letting other people hold them. I've had more than a few jump smack dab on the middle of my face over the years. Totally innocent on the mantises part but you can't expect a young child to not panic if a large bug suddenly leaps at their face.

Sometimes with a large group of young children it can be better to go with a more hands off approach. Instead of passing the mantis around you can take it out, offer it some food, and let everyone watch it eat up close outside of its cage.

Are you promtping the mantids to bite? I raised the same species and the only time they bit me was when I conducted a bite test myself by holding their thorax and holding their mandibles up to my finger (NEVER DOING THAT AGAIN)

Are you promtping the mantids to bite? I raised the same species and the only time they bit me was when I conducted a bite test myself by holding their thorax and holding their mandibles up to my finger (NEVER DOING THAT AGAIN)
Does it hurt? Funny question but I'm curious lol

It felt like 2 miny pocket knives w er re picking into my skin as deep as they could and were pulling upwards. 

It felt like 2 miny pocket knives w er re picking into my skin as deep as they could and were pulling upwards. 
Ok... that sounds pretty painful.. definitely won't be making my mantis angry from here on out..

Yeah especially with the larger ones, and the mantis that bit me was only l4 or l5!