Mantidforum

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Yesterday
  2. Last week
  3. Favorite Quote ... "What does one do with thousands of Mantids"    .. Orin Mcmonigle

1. MantisGirl13

MantisGirl13

I don't know, what does one do with thousands of mantids? I for one would love to find out!

- MantisGirl13

4. Mantis 'Ear' clearly visible .. Mr Ching,    Tenodera sinensis

ching.jpg

1. Foxhill

Foxhill

between the front and back legs if you didnt know

5. Earlier
  6. how much for the ghosts to be shipped i the gta?

7. Busy with my Specimen Jar Production,   takes a while doesnt it!     Good Fun Though

Specimens.jpg

1. Foxhill

Foxhill

P.S Tenodera sinensis, Mr Ching, molt to adult 

2. MantisGirl13

MantisGirl13

Congrats on the molt!

- MantisGirl13

8. Goated on the sticks.

9. Ugh. I'm having really bad luck right now. Right before my male unicorn molts to adult, he dies suddenly. I have an adult female waiting for him too! 

Then, right before I have an adult male ghost, all of my females die. My budwing ooth seems to be infertile, and my young nymphs are dropping quickly. I have no clue what's going on here, but it's not good at all. 

- MantisGirl13

1. Foxhill

Foxhill

Oh Dear!

10. Im really sorry about that last post looking back I sounded like a real arrogant so and so. sorry Mantis Girl, sorry H, if you will have me back that would be great as i need your advice on something and a few pointers. Ive produced a fertile Malay Blue Hierodula ooth which is quite a step forward for me. 

1. Show previous comments  1 more
    2. MantisGirl13

MantisGirl13

Good job with the fertile ooths! That's great! What do you need pointers on?

- MantisGirl13

3. Foxhill

Foxhill

Ive hot glued it to a mesh lid container going to keep it warm and moist but not overly wet. If I get the hatch Ill leave it for some hours then open the lid into a mesh insect cage.. using a paintbrush cup every one separately, damp kitchen roll in each cup with an open lid and fine mesh cover, each cup will have fruit flies added.  Is there anything Im missing and/or any other advice, Is this the way you do it or is there a better method?     Thanks ever so much,  Im excited but feel a little daunted about the whole operation. Cheers

4. MantisGirl13

MantisGirl13

That sounds perfect! 

- MantisGirl13

11. Mantis keeping is exhausting. 😵

1. Jaywo

Jaywo

lol, with your numbers... definitely.

2. hysteresis

hysteresis

I run out of steam once in a while. Yep.

12. Hierodula Malay Blue

2019-08-14 19.07.34 (1).jpg

2019-08-14 19.08.08.jpg

13. Hi Deshawn,

It's Jenny. I have adult female Thistle, Budwing (one leg is missing but good shape otherwise), Spiny, Mega (but her raptors are messed up from a brawl). I have males too of different soecies. I have to check to see who is available that isn't breeding.

1. Show previous comments  4 more
    2. Jaywo

Jaywo

Ok, I'll send them over. on Monday. Experiencing a heat wave this week.

3. Jaywo
    4. Jaywo

Jaywo

Did you get them?

14. I see one tiny black spiny baby. Shouldnt they all drop pretty much at once? 

1. Show previous comments  7 more
    2. hysteresis

hysteresis

Haaaa im so confused now. I dont think our thoughts are synced up. The two ooths you sent are bleph and gongy. The bleph is still cooking. 

My spiny has produced two oothecae and the first ooth is the one that dropped only one nymph. 

That was yesterday. Is that all I can expect, or do spinys hatch across days. 

And yeh, your gongy ooths are "the bomb". Lots of babies. TY. 

3. Jaywo

Jaywo

Ah yes, we were on different pages. I think the spinys can drop in a few days.

4. hysteresis

hysteresis

@Jaywo cool thanks. I took the lone 'scout' to its own cup for feeding. Maybe we'll have a few more drop. I'll look to the second, and any subsequent ooths for more babies though. I just wouldve expected way more on the first day. None yesterday. :)

15. Maybe I'm embarrassed to ask. Yet here I am. How long do male adult ghosts live? How long to incubate ghost ooths? 

1. MantisGirl13

MantisGirl13

Male  ghosts live 1-2 months. Ooths incubate for a month.

- MantisGirl13 

16. Whatever happened to @Graceface?

😲

1. Jaywo

Jaywo

Who is that?

2. hysteresis

hysteresis

Forum user in the Pacific NW breeding ghosts and orchids. 

She was very nice not just to me, but all newcomers. 

She hasnt posted in a while. Miss her in here. 

3. MantisGirl13

MantisGirl13

I was wondering that too!

- MantisGirl13 

17. Whats your email?

18. thewookiemaster

My 1st mantis from last year

Found this adult Chinese mantis in my backyard on Sept 24th and kept him until he passed around December 4th. What an awesome little buddy!
  19. PlayingMantis

My mantises

20. interested in pair can't send message.

21. Finally!!!!!!!

9E9F6002-5F9D-4762-B55E-9DE721A6633C.jpeg

1. MantisGirl13

MantisGirl13

So cuuuuuutttteeeee!!!!!!!!!

- MantisGirl13 

2. hysteresis

hysteresis

Baby orchids ARE cute!

☺️👍

3. RebelleSinner

RebelleSinner

We’re having a blast with this species! 

22. Hiya, Do you still have the violin babies for sale? are they still L3? Looking for 2 :)

1. PlayingMantis

PlayingMantis

Hey I'm so sorry, I just saw your message now. I'm going to clean up my inbox!

23. I must confess: I have killed some mosquitos tonight.

24. Hi. You can't recieve messages can I buy the rhombodera from you?

Thanks

25. The plant has seen better days. But Caleb is having a great one, enjoying a candy between swims. Beautiful day. 🍁 

20190629_145357.jpg?raw=1

1. Show previous comments  2 more
    2. hysteresis

hysteresis

Im mating paradoxa tonight. 

3. hysteresis

hysteresis

Time to turn off the pool heater. 

92°F water. 

No wonder the kids didn't want to get out. 😏

4. MantisGirl13

MantisGirl13

That's hot water! Good luck with the paradoxa! I just got my first fertile ooth from the ghosts tonight! 

- MantisGirl13

26. Today is idolomantis day. 😁

Ill update after work. 😊👍

1. Show previous comments  2 more
    2. hysteresis

hysteresis

The popas are the ones im worried about. The idolos and blephs are well fed, and dont need much water. I may be okay then?

Not the way I wanted to spend this weekend. 😔

3. MantisGirl13

MantisGirl13

They should be ok. 

- MantisGirl13

4. hysteresis

hysteresis

Im the double posting king. LoL. 

Thanks @MantisGirl13.

As I walked in the house Friday evening, Caleb was scanning my person for a shipping box. Poor kid. 

27. I was planning to mate my green female ghost this afternoon, but I got back from grocery shopping and she had laid me a nice big infertile ooth.

So I decided to see if my male would be interested in my big dark female. Sure enough, after three hours of fooling around on her back, Pumpkin the male decided to make the connection!!!!!

This is the first ghost mating of the season for me, but not the last! I have three other females waiting for their turn.

- MantisGirl13

1. Show previous comments  1 more
    2. MantisGirl13

MantisGirl13

Thanks! It's kind of bittersweet because the female decided she was hungry and took it out on the male. I'm pretty sure it was successful, but now I have to wait for my other subadult males to mature before I can mate my other girls. And anyone who's kept ghosts knows how painfully slow the males mature!

- MantisGirl13

3. hysteresis

hysteresis

Lucky. I have just one each illudens and paradoxa females.

By old identification standards, I was informed illudens and paradoxa are synonyms. Whatevz. Ill keep them separate. 

Whole whack of males tho. Two subs that just dont wanna molt too. 🙄

4. MantisGirl13

MantisGirl13

I don't believe that illudens and paradoxa are synonyms because the female's crown looks so different. 

- MantisGirl13

1. Load more activity