mantis ID please

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

womantis

Forum Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
found a very pregnant female. i've only found religiosa and tenodera in my area (SF bay area). all the religiosa i've have found had the black/white "eye" spot on the upper inner forearm and were a lot browner. this one doesn't have the "eye" spot but does have a yellowish orange spot on the inside of her lower forearms. she is also smaller than the others i have found and a brighter green. her thorax ends is rounder at the end (shape not size) than the other females i have found. wondering if she's just a religiosa? second photos shows the spots. will try for better photos.

gravid female.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe it is actually religiosa. It has the body shape of religiosa and the yellow spots are a characteristic of them

Could you take a closeup pic of her head from the front? I'm curious about that head shape, though I agree with the majority for being a Religiosa.

It could be just the angle of the head that's fooling most us, though

Susan,

It is M religiosa. The spot you are thinking of is much further up in the "armpit". I can kinda see it in the first pic. Like many mantids they can be various colors.

In my pic here you can see that yellow area as well as the same dark reddish coloring on the ends of the front legs.

Hard to see but as I said before, I am pretty sure it is.