My Mantis Serendipity was Attacked by a Much Larger Mantis!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krissim Klaw

Reaction score
My unfortunate mantis Serendipity was just attacked by a mantis 2-3 times her size. She was innocently hanging out on the outside of her net cage preenng after a meal when the attack occured. The nameless monster of a mantis snuck up right beside her before she knew it. When she spotted the intruder she tried to put on a brave face, going into a threat pose, but the big bully mimiced her, taunting her. Next she tried valantly striking out, hoping to scare away the monster but once again the other mantis copied her. It was begining to look as if her fate was sealed and she would be eaten before I could get to her, but by some miracle I was able to get to her side. The mantis looked way too scary to brush away, so I shifted the little desk light sitting beside the cage, hoping to scare the beast away and it worked! The monster faded into the shadows and Serendipity was once again free to preen in peace.

My unfortunate mantis Serendipity was just attacked by a mantis 2-3 times her size. She was innocently hanging out on the outside of her net cage preenng after a meal when the attack occured. The nameless monster of a mantis snuck up right beside her before she knew it. When she spotted the intruder she tried to put on a brave face, going into a threat pose, but the big bully mimiced her, taunting her. Next she tried valantly striking out, hoping to scare away the monster but once again the other mantis copied her. It was begining to look as if her fate was sealed and she would be eaten before I could get to her, but by some miracle I was able to get to her side. The mantis looked way too scary to brush away, so I shifted the little desk light sitting beside the cage, hoping to scare the beast away and it worked! The monster faded into the shadows and Serendipity was once again free to preen in peace.
Whered the monster come from, were you outside?? or did it get into the house! Im glad she was ok!

Last edited by a moderator:
Whered the monster come from, were you outside?? or did it get into the house! Im glad she was ok!
It was in my house, and I have no idea where this monster mantis came from, but I did manage to capture some of the battle on video. (Lol, sorry if I was too vague with the over dramatic telling but the attacker was just her spazzing over her own shadow and I was hoping to share the laughs. I had not so sublte hint in the tags but not sure how often people notice those.)

Fluttershy-my-little-pony-shadow-unicorn-Favim.com-235309.gif

It was in my house, and I have no idea where this monster mantis came from, but I did manage to capture some of the battle on video. (Lol, sorry if I was too vague with the over dramatic telling but the attacker was just her spazzing over her own shadow and I was hoping to share the laughs. I had not so sublte hint in the tags but not sure how often people notice those.)

Fluttershy-my-little-pony-shadow-unicorn-Favim.com-235309.gif
LOL! thats great. I didnt catch that at all xD no i never look at tags lol. It did seem quite dramatic but i thought you were just going into story telling mode. x3 funny stuff!!

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL! thats great. I didnt catch that at all xD no i never look at tags lol. It did seem quite dramatic but i thought you were just going into story telling mode. x3 funny stuff!!
Hahaha, hopefully you got a chuckle out of it. I figured it would be more fun to tell it from Serendipity's perspective. I did debate with myself though if it might be too vague. I almost attached the funny gif to the opening post but then I was afraid people's eyes would naturally fall to the gif first and that would give everything away even before reading the post.

Silly bugs never fail to make me laugh.

Had me going there for a minute, thinking perhaps you had a open window and much warmer temps than I've had this year.
laugh.gif
Glad to see some of my mantids are not the only ones to have done similar things. :D

Don't blame me if it gives you nightmares.
Classic old cheesy movie, the MST3K version of it really helps to get through it. ;) I've only seen it once since having mantids, but it seemed to make it funnier. Also you can get the old movie posters printed for some mantid decor. Here is a scaled down one of the Mystery Science Theater 3000 one... (although it looks like the artist has never seen a mantis in their entire life) ;)

deadlymantis-mst3k-small.jpg

Latest posts