Mini fridge for mantids and feeders - ideas

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CosbyArt

Reaction score
As the weather warmed up and I am no longer able to cool off/stun my houseflies on the near freezing balcony, I purchased a great little mini fridge for my houseflies for only $30 on Craigslist (Friday the 27th).

Although it does have a freezer built in, it's more for looks, as even a $1 Banquet TV dinner would fit only if I removed it from the box and it would be a tight fit. :D

I was curious though what else can I use a mini fridge for in regards to mantids, feeder insects, and such? Temperature range, and time needed, for the activity/usage would be great too.

Here is a list of things I put together from various posts I've read, and things I've done myself.

• Cool/stun houseflies
  • Cool/stun fruit flies
  • Storing housefly puape
  • To diapause mantid ooths
  • Ice cold beverages
Here is the listing for my mini fridge. As it just holds a few sodas in the fridge door at the moment I didn't see a need to take a photo of the empty shelf myself. :D

mini-frdge.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
you could do many things with it, without the door, use a piano hinge or similar and make a acrylic (plastic) door with half screen and could use for a high heat mantis with just the light on. You could do bug fridge for flies, and some worms who like dormant cold.

Cool find Thomas, no pun intended..LOL congrats... I would love one just for the bug room... get all the stuff out of my food fridge.

you could do many things with it, without the door, use a piano hinge or similar and make a acrylic (plastic) door with half screen and could use for a high heat mantis with just the light on. You could do bug fridge for flies, and some worms who like dormant cold.
Interesting idea with the door thanks. It would be a good insulator for heat too as you said. If I find another in bad shape or not working I'll make it into a culture cabinet. ;) This one works too great and my only to do that right now.

Cool find Thomas, no pun intended..LOL congrats... I would love one just for the bug room... get all the stuff out of my food fridge.
Thanks, I've been looking for a little over a month. I found a few at flea markets of course when I didn't have enough to buy one, but once I did I couldn't find one anywhere. Thankfully that one showed up on Craigslist soon after payday and I got it, it wasn't even on there 24 hours.

Indeed it is great, that is all it's for, my insects. I do put soda in the door as it doesn't hurt nothing, and no more complaints from anyone in the house. :D

If it gets cold enough, the freezer would be useful for the last step of sterilizing anything you use with your fruit fly cultures to ensure that they are mite-free.

If it gets cold enough, the freezer would be useful for the last step of sterilizing anything you use with your fruit fly cultures to ensure that they are mite-free.
That it does, and good idea. Thanks Jay. ;)