Handling... trying to bite me or groom me?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tangerine17

Reaction score
I caught a praying mantis about two weeks ago and have kept it happily fed indoors. It is a pretty decent size and also quite active. If I offer my hand inside its cage to climb on it will quickly come over and go up, but it always starts getting it's mandibles out and gently ... nibbles(?) on me. I'm not sure if it is actually trying to bite me or if it is kind of licking off whatever sweat/etc might be on my hand or what.

Anyone else have a mantis that does this? I'm not willing to have it on me too long because I'm a bit scared it will actually bite down hard and I don't want to hurt it trying to get it off me.

It may be thirsty. Get a small spoon with water and put it in front of her face. She may think its to climb on so keep at it and be patient. Once she knows its water, she will drink it up!

It may be thirsty. Get a small spoon with water and put it in front of her face. She may think its to climb on so keep at it and be patient. Once she knows its water, she will drink it up!
+1

She might have felt moisture on your hand and went for quick drink.

I agree but not sure I'd use that technique. Just mist the enclosure once a day so it can drink the water droplets.

Most of the time they're just looking for a drink. I did have a chinese mantis that was hungry enough to try and eat my finger, but don't worry you'll feel it but it won't hurt. It's easy to get them off too.

I have had a couple mantis do that to me... I have never had one bite hard, or hurt me.. just light nibble.. one seemed to be eating the hair off my arm, didn't think that was good for him, so I moved him .. and he ran right back and tried again, so I put it away. The next time I held him, it never happened again. (It was a Ghost mantis)

Thanks! This seemed to work actually. I literally got a spoon and put water in it and she drank it right up haha

Will use a spray bottle from now on.

I like the spoon because it's one way of interacting with my mantids. That and giving honey. Oh, I give mine milk sometimes too.

I like the spoon because it's one way of interacting with my mantids. That and giving honey. Oh, I give mine milk sometimes too.
For that reason sure. But it wouldn't be practical to water daily like that is what I was really trying to say.

Especially when watering over 20 mantis... You would be there forever ... and them trying to get them back into their enclosures, which they never want to go back into.

Tangerine. Now you know. Don't forget to give them H2O regularly ! Lightly mist the enclosure 3 or 4 times a week. Make sure the enclosure is well ventilated so the water doesn't sit and promote mold and bacteria. If you have the time, spray droplets on your hand and he/she may drink directly. They also derive some H2O from their live food sources.