My Dead Leaf female is about to molt to adulthood! How long will it take?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mantis Man13

Reaction score
My female deroplatys lobata subadult is going to molt soon. She won't eat anymore, and I haven't fed her for a day until today so she doesn't have any other reason to not be hungry but to molt. Also, it has been 5 weeks since she last molted. She is hanging on a stick right now. Lastly, her budwings appeared puffed up and the detail is blotchy because it is swelled up. My question is, when will she molt? This is the first day she has had these new symptoms.

Last edited by a moderator:
My mantis is now exhaling and inhaling deeply with her abdomen, which means she will probably molt tonight! :clown: :clown: :clown: :clown:

My mantis still hasn't molted guess I was wrong... boy am I never going to get a mantis again that molts so slow! Even when it was a baby it molted every 4 weeks! It has now been 44 days since my mantis last molted, it has one molt and it will be adult, and it is deroplatys lobata. Any thoughts on when it will molt?

she will molt when her wingbuds start to swell up

once she is fully ready the wingbuds will be extremely swollen and you will be able to see the uninflated wings inside, they often will be darker as well.

My deroplatys lobata mantis has not molted for 46 days now and her wings are darker,swollen and blotched and my mantis has not eaten for 6 days, and i have tried to feed her every day but she swats her food away. Somehow her abdomen is very swollen still after 6 days of no eating? :blink: WHAT DOES THIS ALL MEAN?

She will be fine, but only if you stop worrying so much.

Also, if you know that she's going to moult, why would you still try to feed her everyday? All this worrying could be stressing her out a lot.

Anyway, it shouldn't be too long now if she's refused food for 6 days.

She will be fine, but only if you stop worrying so much.

Also, if you know that she's going to moult, why would you still try to feed her everyday? All this worrying could be stressing her out a lot.

Anyway, it shouldn't be too long now if she's refused food for 6 days.
Ditto, trying to feed her everyday could be dangerous. Just treat her the same as you did every other moult and she will be fine. Stop worrying.

you will "love it to death" in a sense if you do not leave her alone, I suggest giving her a good spray and put her somewhere quiet.

Well I don't know if she will molt for sure because she is taking so long and so that is why I am trying to feed her but she won't eat. I don't want her to starve!!!! I am going away for thanksgiving on Wednesday, and what if she doesn't eat by then? She will die while I am gone. :surrender: :surrender: :surrender:

How do you know she will die when you are gone? If she's still fat, then she has enough reserves to survive for a while (idk how long you're gone for thanksgiving). Heed the advise that's been given: stop worrying. Even if there was something wrong with her, there's little you could do anyway.