Who likes Miomantis binotata?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happy1892

Reaction score
Hi. I've been wondering how much people like this species. They look like little jewels to me. Do any of you guys place a higher value on them than, say.. a Phyllocrania paradoxa or a Creobroter pictipennis?

Here, photos of a few of my nymphs:

gallery_5913_485_772583.jpg

gallery_5913_485_537181.jpg

gallery_5913_485_443158.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine are quite aggressive hunters. I guess each individual is different : ) I don't compare my species, I like and keep them all ^^ They each are unique and beautiful in their own ways.

Good answer! But I gotta say, Tenodera sinensis are my least favorite. lol

I have 15 nymphs and they all do not eat too well. Maybe I am keeping them at too cool temperatures.

my t sin is also a fatty, she's also by far the most aggressive I currently own... Though she's pregnant so that also effects her moodiness.

For some reason my M. binotata do not seem to see too well? I do not know.

Aryia I did not get a picture of the black stuff on the tip of the abdomen of one of the two females that lived through the black tip sickness (I made up the sickness name) because the last one molted to sub-adult before I could take a picture of her when she got the black stuff. But she does have dark markings on the last segment of the segments on the underside of the abdomen. Is this normal compared to your nymphs Aryia? Picture of her abdomen below:

gallery_5913_485_499260.jpg

Video of her and a sub-adult male. She has eaten a green bottle fly a day or maybe even two days after the video.

The second video does not work for me...

They do have some pretty markings

They are so insanely pretty, tiny, but pretty. I have some nymphs right now and I can't get over the color blends they get. I've found mine to be pretty feisty and voracious when it comes to hunting.

I don't measure my mantises in terms of value. I enjoy all species from the super common to the rarer exotics splashed around the trade.

As expected this species is easy to keep. I have three sub females at the moment with one of them molting today. I have 1 sub male, but probably going to be a few more molting to sub-adult tonight. They need very little or no misting. I have not gone for long periods (I mean several weeks) without misting and I have stopped a while ago.

Two videos of the nymphs.

Sorry I'm horrible with keeping up with threads. I checked a couple of my nymphs. They are younger than yours and they do have markings on each segment, though they are more brown and more well-defined than on the female pictured (aka they don't look like smudges). As for the discoloration on the abdomen tip, something is definitely going on :/ I would suggest keeping her away from the rest of your nymphs just in case it can be spread, as for how to cure it.. I honestly have no idea.

I used to keep T. sinensis for a while and they were delightful in my opinion ^^ They were one of the only species I've ever witnessed do a backflip and they would jump up from hand to hand as I made a ladder with my hands in mid-air for them! The only reason I stopped breeding them is because they are so widely available already.

Hi Aryia. I think the strange marking on the abdomen tip of that yellowish female (that later turned tannish brown) is not a disease but a normal marking for this species. It looks like a real marking when I look closely at her and some others and not just a stain from a disease. I have another female that got this at sub-adult. The marking is faint or not even showing soon after molting to sub-adult, but later gets dark like in the photo of that yellowish female.

T. sinensis are not like that with me. Only occasionally a skittish individuals does a back flip. Deroplatys lobata and Miomantis binotata do back flips more often. Tenodera sinensis I sometimes find during the summer 8 or more at one time at a gas station (Mostly females I see). Amazing, eh? lol