How to Add Pictures to Posts

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Were you able to successfully post a picture with the help of this tutorial?

• Yes

Votes: 24 72.7%
  • No

Votes: 9 27.3%

• Total voters

Katnapper

Forum Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
unsure.gif
Having trouble with, or uncertain how to post pictures or photos in your posts?
wacko.gif
Hopefully this will help!
smile.gif
You may add pictures via two different methods.

Method #1

In the first method, you add pictures directly from the files in your computer. This may be quicker and easier in the short run. But the individual file size of pictures you upload is limited, so you may have to resize your photos to use this method if your pictures are large. You are also limited to a finite amount of storage space to hold the combined total of pictures you upload via this method. So sooner or later (usually sooner!) you will either have to remove previously uploaded pictures to make room for new ones... or use Method # 2.

InsertImage0.jpg

Method #2

For the second method, you must have a copy of your picture uploaded to, and stored on, a site like Photobucket. There are several similar file hosting sites which allow you to upload and store pictures for free after creating a basic account (also free). Once you have your Photobucket (example I will be using) account set up and your picture/s uploaded into it, then you can easily use the "Direct Link" URL associated with each photo to upload it right into your posts here.

The disadvantage of this method is that it is not quite as quick as using Method #1. But it is only slightly more complicated, and with just a couple of extra steps you can post almost unlimited numbers of pictures without having to worry about resizing, file size limits, or storage limits imposed by the MantidForum servers. It's really not difficult at all, and I highly recommend this method if you plan on posting more than just a couple of pictures on the forum in the future.
wink.gif
Here's how to do it!

InsertImage1.jpg

InsertImage2.jpg

InsertImage3.jpg

*Note: For an even easier way to do this method, you can instead just copy/paste the IMG Code directly into the box where you type the body of your post or message!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice write up. On many sites you cannot upload directly from your computer.

Nice write up. On many sites you cannot upload directly from your computer.
Thank you, Rick! :)

On method #2 you could just copy the img code.
Yes, that is what Method #2 explains how to do. ;)

Edit: I think I realize now what you are saying. You can just copy/paste the picture's URL into the post, yes. But then it would not insert the picture into your post, but it would insert a link to the picture. People could then click on the link to view it.

Yes, that is what Method #2 explains how to do. ;) Edit: I think I realize now what you are saying. You can just copy/paste the picture's URL into the post, yes. But then it would not insert the picture into your post, but it would insert a link to the picture. People could then click on the link to view it.
Actually no what I'm saying is most sites give you the IMG code just copy that without even clicking the insert image button and it will work.

Using this as an example

formosana1.png

all I did was copy the IMG code from photobucket it's just one less thing to do.

Actually no what I'm saying is most sites give you the IMG code just copy that without even clicking the insert image button and it will work.all I did was copy the IMG code from photobucket it's just one less thing to do.
Hmmm.... I'll try this out myself! Let's see.... Copy IMG code from Photobucket, paste right into post.... and ....

Jan09_268_Katnapper.jpg

Dagnabbit!! :angry: Those little whippersnappers think they know everything! <_< Well, I suppose you can teach an old Katnapper new tricks. :rolleyes: Thank you, Tommy... you've saved me time and steps from now on! ;) :D (Even I have to admit that little whippersnapper's pretty darn smart! :p )

Lol if HTML was enabled I could embed music and videos in my posts.

Kat, very nice of you to do the tutorial!

This is what I do if I want to show a small picture with the link to the large size. ( I use flickr )

with spaces shown to interrupt code:

button above for "Insert Image":

just copy and paste link for...

[ i m g ] h t t p : / / farm4.static.flickr.com/3274/3287395543_074e9c9e2e.jpg [ / i m g ]

button above for "Insert Link":

enter link then add description...

[ u r l = h t t p : / / farm4.static.flickr.com/3274/3287395543_8bd9db0885_o.jpg]Click for Larger Picture [ / u r l ]

without the spaces:

3287395543_074e9c9e2e.jpg

Click for Larger Picture

Congratulations, Katt, on a really great tutorial (even if it did cause me Great Anxiety and Ruin My Life after 24 hours). If you incorporate the "extra bits" this would make a most useful sticky and obviate the need for Rick to keep passing out the URL and telling folks to use the Search Engine! :D

There may be an odd side effect of using the IMG code as a means of transferring files. I tried a method using the SRC and Alt attributes (O.K., it was a Mad Moment) on the Export files in

Picasa, which is my default pix organizer, instead of using Method #1.

Something else came up, and I discarded the Forum Reply box (like this) and right after that, the Forum started to malfunction. Since Bassist and I use Firefox, and since we both used the attachment system yesterday and had MantidForum crash, I wonder if there is a connection. (Say it isn't so, Bassist!).

Anyway, after a few days and a bottle of Canadian Mist to steady my nerve, I shall try again. Maybe I'll keep IE7 as the browser for this machine for a while.... :rolleyes:

good tute katnapper. only prob is method 2. doesn't want to work for me :huh:

good tute katnapper. only prob is method 2. doesn't want to work for me :huh:
It works. On photobucket.com the url already has the img tags on each side of the address so you don't need to click on the insert image button here at mantidforum. Just copy the url from the site and paste it here. Once you learn how to post pics you will feel silly at how easy it is.

Hello Katnapper,

sorry for blemishing your poll. I just figured out how to do Method #2. Your explanation is quite easy to follow.

Now if you'll excuse me, there's a Purple-Wing running amok in my room :)

James.