My mantis glows in the dark!!!! (Pics!!)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ABbuggin

Reaction score
This is what happens when you feed your mantis a firefly. :D :D I chose an adult Cilnia, humeralis (wide arm mantis) because they are somewhat "transparent". The only light source was from the firefly being eaten. :D I am estatic about how the pics turned out!!! Plus, they have not been edited. ;)

Specs:

ISO: 1800

White Balance: Dark

Shutter Speed: 20 seconds

F-Stop: 5.6

And a tri-pod for taking macro pics

IMG_7756.jpg

IMG_7758.jpg

IMG_7760.jpg

IMG_7762.jpg

IMG_7765.jpg

In this pic, she has already swallowed the firefly. B)

She liked to move while eating, otherwise the pics would of been a lot clearer. <_<

Last edited by a moderator:
:D Those are GREAT pics.... did you take any once the firefly got to her stomach? was it still shinning?

LOL... omg, hehe!! That's just funny, AB... and pretty interesting. I was out collecting moths by porch light one night and saw a firefly. I thought about it, and thought... no, they probably wouldn't eat/like it. I figured it would taste bad. It's interesting that she ate it. ;) Great idea of taking the pics... pretty neat. :)

Thanks for the kind words everybody. :) Although, it looks like I took several pics of the same firefly, there is actually a different firefly in each pic. Because I had my shutter speed open for 20 seconds, she was almost finished with each one by the time the shutter closed. ;) And yes, she is still alive (and she ate about 7). :p

Let us know if it has any ill effects, or glowing poop. :p No, really let us know if it made it sick. If not I'll try with my newly adult wide arm.

Wow thats amazing wiew. So the fluorescens substance lights even after firefly dies. Interesting :D
Yep. When we were kids we used to smash that part up and rub it on us. :lol:

Latest posts