mantis religosa ooth cold period

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sk8erkho

Reaction score
[SIZE=12pt]How long do I induce the ooth to the cold? Then, what else need I do from that point on to assyre successful incubation?[/SIZE]

the cold period is from november-april on 10-15 degrees celcius bud my advice is: stop whit m. religiosa and take species like sphodromantis or hierodula there bigger and you just have to care 5 weeks 4 the ooth. i know where i,m talking about

I guess patience is a virtue... :)

One month should do it, but you can do it for all of winter and wait for temps to rise in the spring so that you can have an easier time with incubation.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Joosa, you seem to have some good experience with this species? I placed an ooth in the fridge on 9/29. It received about two weeks of cold weather and rain prior to that. I was going to wait until december, but maybe it would be fine to bring it out now? How long does incubation last?

u guys have lost me..u put ooth in fridge?why? why would u want to stress the ooth out by putting it in the fridge..its defeating the object isnt it?excuse my newbie Q..im new to this and this dont make sense

u guys have lost me..u put ooth in fridge?why? why would u want to stress the ooth out by putting it in the fridge..its defeating the object isnt it?excuse my newbie Q..im new to this and this dont make sense
and thats becouse the ooth normaly layd in november then they go in a kind of wintersleep... when dont doing this it wont hatch..

the cold period is from november-april on 10-15 degrees celcius bud my advice is: stop whit m. religiosa and take species like sphodromantis or hierodula there bigger and you just have to care 5 weeks 4 the ooth. i know where i,m talking about
I have no idea what you're trying to say. LIke I told ya Sk8 they need a cold period. You can stick it outside for a couple months or try the fridge. I think outside may be better.

Well. This is my first experience with a more difficult ooth. I'm not intimidated by this only need information as to how to care for these little dudes. As I said in another thread, I in this for the long haul and breeding and such are the next natural progression. So, with this in mind, exactly what I need to know is what purposes does this cold period serve. For example, with my T.A.Sinensis ooths incubation was quite simple and out of eight ooths I only suffered one half loss. Half of one ooth which had been laid by the wayward Mom I wrote about (and was responsible for my membership here),hatched only hours after I had been advised to slice a thin layer to inspect the ooth. At any rate, this new species to the fam are welcomed with opened arms.I merely want to insure successful incubation no matter how long this may take. It's new and challenging and with the right guidance my boys and I will be able to pull this off!! So, any and all suggestions will be appreciated, but trial and patience I guess are what any new endeavors will require. Besides, it's paid for and I won't just let them die, ya know? ;)

Thanks all!!

They just need to have a cold period. Probably why these guys are not found in the more southern states where it is much milder in the winter. Chinese are found there but then again they don't need a cold period. THere is probably a scientific explanation for needing the cold period but I don't know it.

Good luck.

Wow, my ooth hatched 3 days ago, with 3 nymphs in total!!!! YAY!!! :rolleyes: Two came out deformed and only one left. I wonder if it'll survive. <_<

M.religiosa nymphs are able to hatch without any cold period just after about 2-3 months of room-temperature incubation. From ooths that were put to the fridge there was no hatch at all. Maybe it is because naturally temperature changes from 20*C to ~0*C in a couple of months or weeks, but not in a few minutes, and embryos have time to adapt.

M.religiosa nymphs are able to hatch without any cold period just after about 2-3 months of room-temperature incubation. From ooths that were put to the fridge there was no hatch at all. Maybe it is because naturally temperature changes from 20*C to ~0*C in a couple of months or weeks, but not in a few minutes, and embyos have time to adapt.
If they do not need a cold period why are you the first to say it? Just curious as I have always had to make them have one to hatch and it seems others do to.

In 2006 my friends from zoo told me that M.rel ooths don't need a cold period, so I just put a container on a bookshelf and wait. The ooth being layed in the beginning of september started to hatch on 22 of december. The nymphs had been getting out for next three or four days, about 30-50 each day (the ooth was huge). Totally, about 150 hatched.

Maybe because everyone is just trying to imitate natural winter period without asking themselves whether it is necessary for this species or not :) .

Does anybody ever tried to incubate ooths at room temperature?

It's better to keep it in a cold garage because the refrigerator can desiccate an ootheca easily, especially if kept in there more than a few months.

Maybe because everyone is just trying to imitate natural winter period without asking themselves whether it is necessary for this species or not :) . Does anybody ever tried to incubate ooths at room temperature?
The vast majority of temperate species don't require a cool period though a lack affects the hatch rate for some species. You're the first person to claim a hatch on that species without the cool period so I imagine you are confusing species or genera with something else. Or maybe you claim to have some special, subtropical geographic race?

Latest posts