Best cheap(ish) Point and Shoot

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mime454

Reaction score
I have about 150-250$ to spend on a decent camera. What do you think would be best for photographing mantids? It should also be relatively simple to use.

I agree with Alex. I found a late model on eBay with 10.2 MP, macro setting, built in flash, video setting, voice recorder, and I found it slightly used but in the orginal box and I paid less then $50 with shipping. It shoots very decent pics. It is a Canon Power Shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a Nikon L22, it's less than $100 now and takes better macros than the Cannon (it may take worse family photos but I've tried both and only checked their ability to take bug photos).

L22MacroPheromones.JPGThis is shrunk down and cropped.

First photo I took with it. I'm still trying to figure out how everything works.

znWdZ.jpg

It looks better than my iPhone, so that's great!

First photo I took with it. I'm still trying to figure out how everything works.

znWdZ.jpg

znWdZ.jpg

he's a nice orchid, not as glossy looking as mine though :lol:

powershoots are great beginner cameras, really nice intro to the world of photography...

For macrophoto I'm amazed how my Panasonic Lumix TZ31 is really good, for a small camera but Leica optic, really nice.

Most of Aluine's pictures are taken with the Lumix.

I don't know the price in US, in Switzerland photography stuff is really expensive.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read this thread and went out and got the l22 on eBay.I got it for $22 used so wayyy under a hundred bucks now but I can't seem to get it to shoot pics like that orin.how do you get it so clear I put it on easy auto then macro with flash off.any other things I'm forgetting and tips would be much appreciated.