Statilia maculata (Asian Jumping Mantis)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happy1892

Reaction score
Statilia maculata (Asian Jumping Mantis)
Introduction:

I caught and raised Statilia in South Korea.

Adult females were blackish or dark brown to very light creamy brown in color.(happy1892)

They seemed pretty adaptable, they lived around apartments where there were not many things to eat except many spiders. They stay in the bottom of short grass in the wild and sometimes on buildings but I have not seen them on top of bushes, they stay in the bottom part of the bushes. I have not seen them on flowers.(happy1892)

Adult males fly well. Adult males are small, about 45mm long.(happy1892)

• Physical description/appearance, i.e. size, color, shape, crypsis, etc.
  • Difficulty level: beginner, intermediate, advanced, or expert
Development:

I did not mist them or give them water and they molted fine.(happy1892)

• Rate of growth and factors involved
  • Longevity
  • Molting observations
Behavior/temperament:

I have read somewhere that the L1 nymphs of Statilia maculata are timid and do not eat well.(happy1892)

The adult females are not very aggressive but they will do threat pose if provoked enough. I could not make adult males do a threat pose.(happy1892)

The adult males are skittish.(happy1892)

Captive Environment:

I did not mist them or give them water and they molted fine.(happy1892)

I once kept three adult female Statilia maculata in a critter keeper, they were all similar in size and they did well. I put many thick sticks in their containers for them to hang onto and no substrate.(happy1892)

Feeding:

I fed them just grasshoppers, crickets, moths and spiders that look like the American House Spider.(happy1892)

Breeding:

• Sexing/sexual dimorphism (explanation of physical differences and/or adult sizes of the sexes)
  • Time needed from last molt to copulation
  • Tips: give us your methodology.
  • Tips for inducing copulation and fecundity
  • Tips for inducing female to lay oothecae
Oothecae:

They lay several oothecae. I had one lay 4 and maybe they can lay 6 or so in a life time. The oothecae are hard compared to Chinese Mantids oothecae.(happy1892)

I did not mist the oothecae I had and they hatched during the winter (a long time without water), they died because I did not have any small insects to feed them. \

Optional

• Health Issues: infections or illnesses encountered.
  • Additional Observations: pertinent information which doesn't neatly fit anywhere else.
  • Photos: up to five may be posted at the bottom of the completed template. Please limit these photos to no more than one of an ootheca, two of nymphs(different instars), one of an adult female, and one of an adult male.
Contributors: happy1892, jamurfjr

Last edited by a moderator: