One new Mantis, then a dead one.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benayla

Reaction score
This week my Father wound up coming across a two inch adult Mantis and bringing it home for me. So he'Z in his cage and everything. But last night, my smallest Hierodula Nymph (Who went over a good month without molting) ended up on the ground. I know he was fed earlier enough (Fruit Flies) that that wasn't an issue. The same thing happened with one of his sisters a while ago, I recall mentioning. At their size I'm sure his two remaining big sisters should be fine, one of them just ate last night. Actually, I should probably name all of my remaining Mantises now.

My father suspected that their might've been something wrong with him, considering he didn't molt as fast as his siblings. But then, all I was able to feed him were fruit flies, since he never got big enough to take down a cricket, so I switched to meal worms, which he grabbed, then the worm broke free. So he acted like he was scared of them after that. 

IMG_20170930_202949.jpg

IMG_20170930_202958.jpg

If that is the lid to your mantid tank I would like that top with mesh. They need a grippy texture to hang on to. 

Too low of temperature could be the reason why him and his sister didn’t molt and ended up dying. Back when my pair of spiny flower nymphs were babies, they molted once and then didn’t molt again for a month in a half. I decided to turn up the temperature to around 80 degrees, and luckily they molted a few days later. If I hadn’t figured out that they needed it hotter than my other mantids, I’m fairly sure they’d have refused to molt and died 

so just make sure your temperature is at the right level for your hierodulas  :)  

Latest posts