Found two Mantis Oothecae on my front porch.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OmniXVII

Reaction score
I found these oothecae on my porch. Winter is coming up, and I want to ensure their survival throughout this coming winter so I can watch them in the spring. I live in Northern Utah, and the temperatures can sometimes go below 0 degrees Fahrenheit during the coldest months. It should start snowing around late October, and the snow melts for spring near April.

The question is, can I bring them inside and leave them in a fridge until spring? Will I mess up the oothecae's cycle by removing it from the outdoors? Should I just put a bowl over it to prevent it from getting damaged by snowpack and leave it be? Or will it be fine for me to keep them safe inside my fridge until spring arrives?

20171009_133830 (1).jpg

20171009_133838 (1).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't much much about ooths and never even hatched one myself but I think it would be fine to take them in for the winter in the fridge if you want to keep a couple of the nymphs for spring but if not, then the ooths should be completely fine outside as they are adapted for this kind of cold and snow.

Tis the season , my friend brought me a European ooth she found while cleaning up her yard..   I am puting it inside to incubate , by spring we should have a few more ootheca to release to the wild............. S

That's so cool, good eye for finding those!! Pretty lucky you have 2(!) soon your front porch.  :D I had a mantis I took inside late September that had an ootheca in late October and I put it outside and when I checked in it after the snow it was just fine so it should be alright where it is /if u cover it. 

Latest posts