Can someone ID this species for me?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Syndragy

Reaction score
Just a normal day of watering the plants and I spot this mantis taking a shower, any clue which species this is? Found in Northern California.

I plan on caring for it in the Terrarium in the photo, don't worry, I'm still preparing it (may be "a little" overkill).
Sorry I couldn't really take great pictures at the time; bad lighting and angles, but the mantis has some small black spiral on it's wings and no markings on inner front legs, maybe that'll help a little. 

I've never cared for an adult before, so some tips, or redirections would be nice too. Once the species is known, I'll do additional research

Thanks, appreciate it. 

IMG_0920.JPG

IMG_0916.JPG

IMG_0921.JPG

Just a normal day of watering the plants and I spot this mantis taking a shower, any clue which species this is? Found in Northern California.

I plan on caring for it in the Terrarium in the photo, don't worry, I'm still preparing it (may be "a little" overkill).
Sorry I couldn't really take great pictures at the time; bad lighting and angles, but the mantis has some small black spiral on it's wings and no markings on inner front legs, maybe that'll help a little. 

I've never cared for an adult before, so some tips, or redirections would be nice too. Once the species is known, I'll do additional research

Thanks, appreciate it. 

View attachment 9741

View attachment 9742

View attachment 9743
That looks like a male European mantis. Scientific name: mantis religiosa

I highly doubt that this is a Mantis religiosa. I'm pretty sure that this is a male Iris oratoria judging that the wings don't cover up the entire abdomen and also the stripes on the wings. Although it could be a male Stagmomantis californica because of the black stripes on the top of the abdomen, but I'm pretty sure that those are just some sort of injury.

Yeah now that I have seen some pictures of an iris oratoria male it does seem a lot more like one of those. Sorry for the mistake, I expected males of those to look a lot different.

Latest posts