Disaster.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Connor

Reaction score
I want to start off by saying that I am not telling this story to gain sympathy or anything like that. Tbh most of this I probably could’ve avoided. I am Definitely completely and utterly destroyed by this though...

I had to leave for a family vaca for Thanksgiving. We were gone for 4 days. Didn’t know **** could hit the fan in that little time. Just to be clear though most of my collection is fine. But of course it was my favorite species that had to be the ones to get blown apart. I had prepared for this trip by giving plenty of food and making sure the substrate would hold the humidity good enough. Though I was a little short on time between school, packing, and regular everyday stuff. 

Jesus... absolute disaster with the Heterochaetas while I was away... Dumped a ton Melos and hydei in and completely gave the moss a spray as well as the mantis. Started out with 10. Now I have 4 and a mismolted one. Two fatal mismolts... one of the older females and a one younger one. Another two missing which I’m guessing is cannablism. One on the floor dead. I’m down to 4 healthy ones and a mismolted one. My humidity is fine. I’m providing birch sticks. ###### is going on. This species is giving me some real pains. 

My Heat lamp died while I was away that was with my idolomantis diabolicas... my most expensive and rare species. My last female idolo passed away from idk what... I kept the enclosure full of flies. She looks to be plump. Gonna guess it’s becaeue the heat lamp died. But my room stays in the high 70s. There goes that expensive and amazing breeding group.

My violin mantis are ruined now as well. Cats somehow got into my room by sliding open a heavy *** door and completely destroyed their net cage. Only Male is dead. One female is about to die. The other female disfigured... those guys were my favorite. 

At a loss for words. My favorite species have been flushed down the drain. I guess I just wanted to tell the story and get it off my chest. Feeling pretty guilty for these poor insects. I know that some of you big timers that I’ve been growing to become don’t think this is much. But it’s definitely a blow that hurts. Between the attachment with the mantis and the fact that this financially hurts... but I ain’t going away. I got other species that are ready to breed and hopefully I’ll have some babies being produced here soon. This is just a couple/ a lot of steps back. 

I'm sorry to hear things went so bad. Trips can be tough because even if you are willing to spend the money on a pet sitter it is going to be hard finding someone experienced enough to do more good than harm. For a shorter 4 day trip a lot of us would find it less risky leaving the mantises behind alone than have someone that doesn't know what they are doing poking around the cages. There is zero risk for a healthy mantis to starve in four days time. When you got communal setups and nymphs that are going to shed however things get more complicated. It sounds like you really had a string of bad luck with everything going wrong at once. As someone that has had a high prey driven cat and mantises before, you might want to look into adding a lock, because now that they got in once and had a blast they will be keen to sneak in again next time they are bored and no one is home.

Thank you for the kind words and advice @Krissim Klaw. Yeah everything really just went downhill while I was gone. Petsitting is easy to find for our cats... but mantis are a different story lol. Not sure if there is anyone is my zipcode that knows how to take care of mantis or would want to. And thanks for clarifying on the starving part. I don’t think any of them starved to death except one of the mismolted ones. I always thought that they need at least a week to starve. I will have to look into getting a lock to prevent this for happening again. Those damn cats better watch out for me atm

So sorry for your losses, that sucks :(  I'm headed on my yearly pilgrimage back home next month and will be gone for 7 days so this post makes me nervous... wish you all the best in recuperating your collection.

I’m so sorry this happened to you. Pretty much all my Mantids died over the Summer while I was in Japan. I hope everything turns out well for you.

Yah it tends to be less of a food issue and more of a water one. Adults and larger nymphs tend to be fine but the smaller ones can dry out fast and if there is no one to mist their cage for drinking then the only moisture they can fall back on is what they get in their food. It can put them in a bad place for molting even if the humidity stays good. It sounds like you really had a perfect storm of things that went wrong. Another trick you might find helpful is hang some bells from your door. This way when you are at home you will get a extra warning if the cats decided to start fussing with the door while it isn't locked. I still remember one time I had a mantis out and left to brush my teeth and my little stinker of a cat was on the top bunk the whole time just waiting for the second I was out of sight. I got really lucky. I heard the thud sound of him jumping down and ran in expecting to see carnage only to find my mantis had flown itself to safety giving me enough time to get there and prevent the second attack.

@rantology thank you. Best of luck to you when you leave. As long as you don’t have a traumatic line up of events like me you’ll probably be fine. 

@FluffyMantid thank you. It really sucks to come home to dead mantis. Sounds like you had it worse then me.

@Krissim Klaw yeah most of those little Heterochaetas probably didn’t get enough water. I might have to invest in a few humidifiers. I was talking to the breeder I got the idolos from and he said that the female looks like she was about to molt. So either she got stressed out by the flies I put in with her or it wasn’t hot enough for her to molt. And thanks for the tips with the cats. I’ll have to try that out. What a ‘phew’ story. Glad the cat didn’t get him.

I'm so sorry Connor. This really sucks. :(  But, there's something to be learned in all of it... as devastating as it is. We all make mistakes...please don't be too hard on yourself. You obviously are a good pet owner. 

I'm so sorry Connor. This really sucks. :(  But, there's something to be learned in all of it... as devastating as it is. We all make mistakes...please don't be too hard on yourself. You obviously are a good pet owner. 
i agree, ive had to leave for vacation one time in the past and it too had some not make it.

That really sucks, I'm so sorry. Hopefully things will only get better from this point.

Connor, am so very sorry to hear of your losses. I no longer trust cats. They are always after our anole and one cat killed my two pacman frogs by vomiting through the screen top on them. Hope your mantis adventures are happier from now on. 

@cwebster yeah. The cats are off my good side. Ironically they broke I last night and scared off a mating couple... not sure where they are. Geez the cats puked on the frogs? That’s crazy

Latest posts