Why is my mantis so angry? Is he about to molt?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kimyona

Reaction score
I have an L4 spiny flower mantis who has been super agressive to anything and everything these past couple of days. Even by putting my hand on his enclosure, he'll lunge at it. He's super alert 24/7 and constantly moving his head to see where I'm going and what I'm doing. This has been going on for 2-3 days. Before this, he would love to crawl on me and usually just sat upside down doing nothing instead of being so alert. 

I was going to try to feed him later on today, but haven't tried in the past three days because I made a new culture of fruit flies that I'm letting repopulate (before these 3 days, he accidentally ate too much). So I don't know if he'll reject his food the same way as if he's about to molt, but he is rejecting water. The temperatures are kind of cold recently because of winter, but I still put his heater on which gets up to 80°F for a good part of the day. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Whenever my Rhombodera is hungry she gets grumpy and tries to grab me, he might just think you're food  :D

She is like you're not feeding me, I am mad, I am the hawk I am going to attack you. All funniness aside. I don't know, maybe she's just got an attitude, it's funny how people have said that they're supposed to be easily spooked and doing the threat pose all the time I had mine out once when it was Halloween on the 31st, the October I had her out for 6 hours straight, never once that she act aggressive towards me in fact she's learning how to fly now, so I'm in trouble. Lol.

Latest posts