buying mantids

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheri

Reaction score
I'm new to mantids and am looking to buy my first. I'm going to the new england reptile show next month and I'm hoping they will have some mantises for sale there.

Where does everyone get there mantids?

I've bought all of mine from breeders online, mainly from Mantid Kingdom and PanTerra Pets but also from individuals posting in the Classified section on this forum. 

A good place to locate reputable sellers is by checking the Breeder Feedback section of this forum. You can see which breeders have a good reputation among the community as well as those you might want to steer clear of.

While you might be able to find mantises for sale at a reptile show it isn't a given and you won't know specifically what they will have or the size/age so getting set up for that particular mantis might be a mad scramble if it has specific care needs. It's better to do your research and get your housing and supplies in order beforehand THEN get your mantis. Anyway, welcome to the forum and to mantises. 

^^ PanTerra Pets is amazing, I highly recommend them! They shipped the same day the order was placed and I ended up getting my guys early (with a freebie). They have some pretty good sales, I placed mine on Black Friday and got a steal! Came extremely well packed and all did amazing. 

I also just placed an order with MantidsGalore, they also shipped same day, but I haven't gotten the package yet (its right on schedule). They have great communication, letting me know when they planned on shipping it out and updating me on it. I can let you know more when I get the package, but so far, I really like doing business with them. MantidsGalore also has some pretty good sales, they still had a couple BOGO sales last time I checked. I didn't order nymphs, just a ton of fly pupaes and a couple European mantis ooths they had for sale.

Like most, I buy mine online.  Some reptile shows do have mantids, but as mentioned you might not be able to find out for sure if they do and if so what they have until you get there.  It's possible you can contact the vendors in advance that are likely to carry them to see what they plan to have...not sure though.

thanks for the info everyone. I'll check the stores out your recommended and see what I can find. Super excited to get my first mantis. 

I just received two from The Shady Mantid and the packaging was superb, they threw in a free month's supply of fruit flies and they even included a personal handwritten note, thanking me for the purchase as well as confirming that they are there for me if I have any questions!  :clap:

Hi Cheri.  I will have a table at the Reptile Expo in NH on Sunday.  My company is Bugworks.  I have some Hierodula sp. (Giant Asian mantis), and Ghost mantids (Paradoxa phyllocrania) for sale.  Bugworks is a company that does educational programs on insects in schools and libraries, so you won't find it listed in any breeder sections.  However, I've been raising mantids since 2000 for use in my programs, and my critters are super healthy and well cared for.  I just happen to have a surplus, so I'm selling some.   If you're still planning to attend the expo, stop by and say hi!  I'll also have a few other critters on display, and I always enjoy meeting invertebrate enthusiasts. 

Latest posts