Are they growing at the same time?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bio25

Reaction score
First at all i have to say that i was reading a lot about this in this forum and i found mantis can grow up with days between same L, but could i find a c.gemmatus with the same L 3 weeks ago is now 2 L bigger than the rest? Or there is a big difference between male and female?

I will post pics to show it.... i know are not the best but i dont want to disturb them...

20180314_151617.jpg20180314_151604.jpg

Mantids grow at different rates, just like people. It’s necessarily an indicator of sex, but it could be. The only question, really, is are you treating the fast-grower any differently? If not, then It’s just that (s)he happens to be growing faster.

Im feeding them till their abdomen is full, they always have food on their enclosure and the same temp so it could be (s)he is a fast grower or is just one molt bigger and it changes a lot their size.

The new molted one has something like shoulders so i think it could be a subadult?

I've never heard of a mantid from the same ooth surpassing the others by 2 instars unless they had intentional temperature control.  It is likely as you mentioned, that he/she just changed a lot in size after this molt.  Like River Dane said, they can grow at different rates.  Also, when they are just coming out of their molt like your picture above, they tend to appear larger than when they are resting, because they are stretched out and hanging down.  If they are all under the same conditions, I think you'll find that they even out a bit.

I saw (s)he right now and is the same size.. As TheShadyMantid said just appeared to big much bigger, but now i think tjey are similar in sizes.

Can i see if they are M o F looking at the width of their abdomen? I mean in addition of counting segments.

Thank you all again for your answer :)

My four ghosts that I assume came from the same ooth or at least a very similar hatch time (purchased them at the same instar at the same time) differed quite a bit in their growing:

9/17/17 - First female molted to adult

11/3/17 - First male molted to adult

11/22/17 - Second male molted to adult

12/2/17 - Second female molted to adult

Needless to say, I was very surprised when that first female molted to adult so soon!  They were all kept in the same conditions though so variation between siblings can be quite large.

Not sure about Creobroters specifically but in general as mantids get older, the females get wider abdomens than the males.  But the segment counting method is still the most reliable method.

I know, but im afraid of them. They try to attack as soon as i open the lid and they run really fast so im afraid they can be hurt. I will post a pic later at least to know in what L they are... haha

I tried to do some photos of 3 from the 6 creobroter. Can i least know in what L they are? I must be idiot cause i cant count it.

Number 1:

20180317_141729.jpg20180317_141747.jpg

Could it be:

L5 male

L5 male

L5 female

They are turning greener now

Many thanks for your help.... that little fierces are always ready to eat, so i hope to not overfeed them :)

Latest posts