Restless Orchid Female

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Predatorhousepet

Reaction score
I have an adult orchid female and lately she has started circling her enclosure. She will do a circle crawling upside down on the screen then stop to look at the female shield mantis next door (cages are about 2 inches apart), do some arm movements then continue on her slow circuit. Sometimes she will also stop to look at the H. membranacea female that is about a foot and a half away. She will do this for a up to half an hour at a time. What is she doing? Do I need to put her in a larger enclosure? (She is currently in an 8x8x12 Exo Terra.) Or maybe take her out more? (Can mantises get bored or depressed?) Is she looking for a mate perhaps? I do know where I can get an adult male but he's a bit pricey.

I notice that my female orchids pace around their enclosures a lot when they are getting ready to lay an ootheca. Infertile or not, they just seem very restless leading up to laying.

I notice that my female orchids pace around their enclosures a lot when they are getting ready to lay an ootheca. Infertile or not, they just seem very restless leading up to laying.
That makes sense. The orchid is probably only trying to find a good place to lay. I can imagine that she is feeling uncomfortable! 

- MantisGirl13

Thanks. That was one of the things I was thinking she might be doing. If I go ahead and get the male do you think it would be too late to fertilize this ooth?Does it matter when it's done?

It depends when the male arrives. If she lays her ooth now, then you obviously can't fertilize it, but I would go ahead and get him, because she can lay other ooths, and if you mate them before she lays, then you should have a fertile ooth. Is the male mature enough to mate?

- MantisGirl13

I hope that you can find another! Keep looking, and maybe you'll find one!

- MantisGirl13

As others noted it sounds like she is restlessly looking for a spot to lay an ootheca. Depending on your set up you might want to see if you can add more sticks and stuff for her to to choose from. I would also suggest either moving her cage or placing something up the sides so she can not see her neighbors. Laying an ootheca is a vulnerable time for a female mantis and it doesn't sound like she is pleased with having other mantises in eye shot.

I hope that you can find another! Keep looking, and maybe you'll find one!

- MantisGirl13
I made an agreement with Sarah K for a male, he will be shipped on Monday. Maybe that will be in time for this ooth, maybe not but there's always the next one if he gets here too late.

As others noted it sounds like she is restlessly looking for a spot to lay an ootheca. Depending on your set up you might want to see if you can add more sticks and stuff for her to to choose from. I would also suggest either moving her cage or placing something up the sides so she can not see her neighbors. Laying an ootheca is a vulnerable time for a female mantis and it doesn't sound like she is pleased with having other mantises in eye shot.
That may very well be, she spends a lot of time watching the female shield mantis next door and vice versa. Neither has been mated (yet) but both are probably close to laying their first ooth any time now, they've become noticeably more plump in the last few days. I will put a divider on both sides of the orchid's enclosure to block her view of other mantises. That will probably benefit the other mantises too as they are all female adults that have yet to lay that first ooth. Maybe they've all just been waiting for their pesky neighbor to stop staring at them.

As for places for her to lay the ooth, I've read that gluing fat popsicle sticks to the lid is a good option. My ghosts seemed to like laying their ooth on the 1/4" round wooden dowels securing the tulle mesh over the metal screen of the lid. The orchid has some of the same dowels on her screen too but I'd like to avoid her laying it there as they are a pain to remove and replace with new dowels, they are part of the structural integrity of the lid. 

She currently has several natural wood sticks, a flat/wide piece of bark with one smooth side and a square 3/4" dowel rod in her enclosure as possible places but maybe they aren't to her liking. I'll switch them out with other options, any other suggestions besides tree branches and popsicle sticks? 

I am glad that you found a male orchid! if you will be selling your nymphs when they hatch, I would be interested in some! Please post pictures of them. I have always thought that first and second instar orchids looked so unique. 

- MantisGirl13

Latest posts