I will be camping 14 days

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mantis Lady

Reaction score
Next week i will be out for 6 days on a camping trip. How long can I be from home? I have 2 adults and 2 L3 and 1 L2 nymphs.  I think I have to take the nymphs with me. I dont't think they can stay 6 days alone. but what with the adults?

Last edited by a moderator:
The adults should be fine, possibly even the L3s. If you choose to leave them, make sure to stuff them. Although, if you can take the nymphs, I don’t see why you wouldn’t just bring the adults, too.

Also, be careful about what species you’re bringing with you. Don’t release the feeders or the Mantids, and make sure not to bring anything back accidentally, either.

EDIT: forgot to say have fun on your camping trip! 

it is about 5 mantids

• 2  Hierodula membranacea,
  • 2 Sphodromantis gastrica: 1 L2,  1 L3
  • 1Creobroter gemmatus L3
  •  cup with fruitfies
  • little box with dubias
the 3 delicups with the nymphs won't take much space I think, but the home of Cochise is big. the one for Bob i still need to make.

I won't any of let them go, they are mine and I love my mantids,  and I will care for them till they die. Only thinking what is wise to do ;-)

If I were you, I'd take them with. As long as you don't let anything go, you should be fine to take them with you. How warm is it there?

- MantisGirl13

For now they are giving  temp around the 20Celsius for that weekend I am going away. They will be standing in our caravan then. I won't let their homes outside. think will create another home for Cochise (traveling home) It will be full in caravan:  hubby and me, 5 mantids and Scooby our dog :p

Normally I would have asked my mother in law to take care of them, but she  will on same camping trip as me :p

Cool! Have fun! Maybe you can catch Cochise some new food while you are camping! I love camping!

- MantisGirl13

I don't know if it is good to feed them with insects from outside. Maybe they have diseases or parasites with them.

I love camping too, when the weather is nice and warm. Being the  whole day outside is nice.

I usually catch food when I can. I don't think that wild insects would be any danger to your mantids because they would eat insects like that in the wild anyway.

- MantisGirl13

It seems like 6 days would be a bit long for the young nymphs so taking them with you may be the safest, although perhaps a bit inconvenient.  Have fun though!

I take for sure the nymphs with me, because i want my eye every day on them. I mist them every day and see if they need some juicy fruitflies. They are in deli cups, that doesn't take much space. I see if i can make travel boxes for the adults, I can take them too, but if they can stay couple of days alone, maybe that is better.

Hmm, I think that you should take everyone if you can. We don't want anything happening to Cochise! 

- MantisGirl13

Oh no dont wan't something happing to Cochise. That is why I make some travel boxes where she can sit in. (and Bob too when he arrives)

Not this weekend but weekend after this one. We going for the first time with our new caravan. Think I know a place to where to put the nymphs. Think the adults on the table or something. then can Cochise and Bob look at each other and in fall in love.

They will have their own home. Bob won't loose his head He is sub adult, he need to grow up first before meeting Cochise real live.

Ok. Well, at least hope he doesn't lose his head on a later date! 

- MantisGirl13

I hope not. I will give Cochise a big prey (grasshopper) to eat while I let Bob mate her. Somehow, 3 of my sub adult grasshoppers molted to adulthood. :eek:

She can better eat a grasshopper than Bob. ;)

Latest posts