Your oldest mantids

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ocelotbren

Reaction score
I just had a male ghost pass today at about 11 months old, including 5.5 months as an adult.  I've only raised ghosts this one time but it seems like 5.5 months as adult is a long time for a male.  The other male died after 2 months as adult.

So I am wondering - what are everyone's longest living male and female mantids?  What species were they?  I know typical lifespan can vary between species so if you know what is typical, please include that for comparison.  I am curious!

Thanks for sharing. :)

I had an adult that lived 7 to 8 months as an adult. My female giant asian mantis elsa. She just passed away a few weeks ago.

My brother had a female Tenodera Sinensis ( Toklo) that lived four months as an adult. Toklo was cute, agressive, and  an attention hog.She lived longer than any I have had before.

- MantisGirl13

It is nice that the females can live so long, so that we can enjoy their company for quite a while. :)

For now i can say Cochise and I hope she will be living a couple of months longer than now. Cochise is my first mantis. I would really miss her when she dies.

I’ve ordered a three giant African mantises and they all are adults except one who is still L4. She had a bad molt and she recovered after the next molt. 

Crazy how old she is but she still looks so young. Could be a new record.

the other adults are about three months.

the “l4” hasn’t molted in about 5 months.

Parablepharis, Toxodera and some others can live past 2 years. In my own care, I have a Parablepharis kuhlii adult female that is currently 28 months and still going

Parablepharis, Toxodera and some others can live past 2 years. In my own care, I have a Parablepharis kuhlii adult female that is currently 28 months and still going
That is insane! I want to get one of those now! ;)  

- MantisGirl13

Latest posts