Spooky ghost mantis has wings!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwebster

Reaction score
Was shocked after work to see that Spooky ibviously molted to a final adult stage, with wings. Hope the molt was successful...am worried because he/she didnt fold his wings up. 

The eight little nymphs i got from Patty are doing very well although one seems kind of thin. 

I love ghosts! They are so different from Chinese mantises.

What kind of housing does Spooky need now? He is ina deli cup which he has outgrown. A terrarium? I have screen mantis cages but tge humidity seems way too low. Diet? He seems to have outgrown hydei. Will try to get photos tomorrow. How long does an adult live? I hope a long tome asi love Spooky. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep him in a terrarium, or other larger cage. Feed him moths, house flies, blue bottles, whatever you can find/buy. Adult male ghosts don't live as long as females. A couple more months is what you should expect of him.

- MantisGirl13

Thank you. I moved him into a mesh butterfly cage today with really sall crickets and a moth. Am hoping to catch some fruit flies today while waiting for the blue bottle fly spikes to mature. Dont know if Spooky is a male ir female. Will try to get a photo this weekend. 

Ok. It should be easy to tell if he/she is a male or a female. I am glad that you have a good cage for him/her! Do you have any other ghosts? He/She might want some company if your other ghosts are a similar size! Please post somes pictures!

- MantisGirl13

Comparison pic of adult male & female ghosts

male-female-mantis.jpg

Thanks for the pictures. Based on these, i think Spooky s a male. When i got him at a reptile show, i was told he was a female. Regardless, he will be loved and cherished. Only other ghosts i have are nymphs. 

I am sure he will have a great life. What instar are your other nymphs?

- MantisGirl13

Neat! Little ghosts are so cute with their twitching antennae.

- MantisGirl13

I think one of the cutest things my ghosts do is how they bounce up & down when they see me after I've been gone all day or while eating prey....l think they do it when they are content and happy.

@PredatorhousepetThat is cute! What instar are your ghosts? My favorite species is the ghost mantis. My family and Patty gave me nine for my birthday in March, and I still have six of them.

-MantisGirl13

I have 3 ghosts...2 females and a male that I bought at the same time as L2 nymphs. All three have been adults well over a month now and I have 3 fertilized ooths incubating. Provided all goes well in a month or two I should have a LOT of ghost nymphs running around.

@PredatorhousepetCute! What are their names? I plan to mate mine as soon as they are old enough. I have even been asked by the Philadelphia Insectarium ( the second largest insectarium in America) to donate a ghost ooth or several nymphs!

- MantisGirl13

That is very cool, your nymphs would be shown to lots of people!

I haven't felt the need to give my mantises names, I've just called them by their scientific names or by common name and coloring. The funny thing is I was referring to the ghost females by their coloring at first...I had an olive green female and a light brown female but they kept changing colors so that got confusing real fast. (The male went from dark brown to a light grayish brown.) Now both females are an identical dark brown chocolate color and the only way I can tell them apart is by how thin their abdomens are/who laid their ooth last...so now I just call them the "ghost twins."

:) I name my mantids, because it gets too confusing if I don't. Your females sound very pretty! I have two chocolate colored males, two green females, a honey colored female, and a speckled honey-chocolate male. they are all pre-sub or sub-adult. 

- MantisGirl13

Latest posts