different sub species of Dead leaf mantis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john57

Reaction score
I am getting a bit confused on what are the differences  between Deroplatys desiccata, Deroplatys Lobata and Deroplatys Truncata in care and size.

Maybe others as well. I have not found information that was consistent between three types I have mention so far I know. 

They’re all different species. The distinctions are pretty easy to miss at first glance, though.

The main difference is the shape of their prothorax, with D. lobata having a diamond shape, D. truncata having a triangular shape, and D. desiccata having a ripped appearance. In my opinion, D. truncata mostly resembles a freshly fallen dead leaf, D. lobata looks slightly decayed, and D. desiccata looks almost rotting.

Deroplatys truncata is also typically the most expensive of the three species, and D. desiccata is the most common to find.

From left to right: D. lobata, D. truncata, D. desiccata

A3_AAFF90-_EB03-4_DB9-_BAEC-_FDC24_C610117.jpg

Another image to demonstrate the unique shape of D. desiccata’s “hood.”

3_AF5_DBBE-_CFDC-42_BE-9_AA6-390_BD61_B0621.jpg

What an excellent and useful explanation and post, thank you for this.

Thanks, that is a great introduction of the dead leaf species. Clear and useful illustrations without being too wordy and right on point.  

@john57, @danl82, no problem, glad I was able to help you guys! Although, I would like to add that it should be D. lobata that is actually the most commonly available, as opposed to what I wrote above. As of yet, I’ve only seen private breeders and MantidKingdom selling D. desiccata.

Latest posts