Wings!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allthingsterrarium

Reaction score
Hiya guys! Lee has molted for the 2nd time since I've had her and her wings have finally come in! I was expecting the wing buds from her last molt to be a bit larger and more obvious but her wings to have come in fully and it blows my mind! That and once again she seems to have doubled in size. Last time it was 14 days between molts, this time it was 20 days. That's a six day difference so I think if the pattern holds we can add another 6 days so it might take 26 this time. Fortunately for handling her I don't think she's ready to fly yet, that or she has no interest in it. By the way guys, I don't know if it's too early to tell but do you suspect she's indeed a female? I read male giant Asians have longer wings but since then I've heard some other things on this site that contradict that.

Lee 4.JPG

Lee 5.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations on the molt!

Lee is now an adult mantis, and will not molt again. At this age, she can easily be sexed, but it might make it easier if you show the underside of the abdomen. I don’t have any firsthand experience with this species, but it looks to be male based on the pictures. Either way, Lee turned out to be a gorgeous mantis!

Congratulations on the molt!

Lee is now an adult mantis, and will not molt again. At this age, she can easily be sexed, but it might make it easier if you show the underside of the abdomen. I don’t have any firsthand experience with this species, but it looks to be male based on the pictures. Either way, Lee turned out to be a gorgeous mantis!
Thanks River Dane! I'm for sure going to get a look at the underside of the abdomen tomorrow. I actually just read a little while ago that females usually have 6 abdominal segments and males have about 8 so I'm really looking forward to checking for sure. Now that she's matured I hope she still has a chance to grow a bit as I've seen some real monsters large enough to take pinkie mice, not that I'd give her one since that might be too brutal. In any case I'm hoping she still has some decent time to live. 

Indeed, males have more abdominal segments than females. The last segments also differ between males and females, with females having just one large last segment, whereas males have several smaller segments leading to the rear. 

Female:

8_FE3_BEE1-5382-4_CE6-93_D4-884617_AC5261.jpg

Male:

D580391_D-4263-46_DD-8887-602328_E25171.jpg

Indeed, males have more abdominal segments than females. The last segments also differ between males and females, with females having just one large last segment, whereas males have several smaller segments leading to the rear. 

Female:

Male:

Yeah that looks similar to mine. I just checked and it looks like there's at least 7 segments, possibly an eighth but it was hard to make out plus the wings are long. It looks like Lee might be a guy. If that's the case the only downside is I was hoping to possibly breed eventually and continue the legacy by raising some of his/her children since they don't live too long but I can't breed a male I've gotten attached to since apparently he gets eaten by his mate after.

Looks like a male to me. My female was alot bigger than that. 
That's a good point. I've read that male giant Asian mantises stay smaller in the 3 inch range while females approach 6. I guess it would make sense in that case that a smaller male would also not bulk up nearly as much and would mature earlier.

That doesn't always happen and there are things you can do to help prevent it, but it is still a definite possibility. 
That's good to know. Still I don't know if I'd risk it with Lee though I might try it in future. That is if I can find one of each gender.