Sharp Mandibles

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minomantis

Reaction score
A lot of characteristics fascinate me about the mantis, but one thing that is a new discovery that impresses me are the mandibles of the mantis.  Watching a mantis eat a fly is one thing, but watching a mantis devour something with a hard exoskeleton is another.  The fact that they can break through such hard exteriors with ease is so impressive.

Another thing is how a mantis will catch an insect and sometimes will start eating it mouth first.  I caught a dobsonfly and if you don't know that insect, look it up, but when my mantis caught it (a Hierodula majuscula) she started eating it mouth first.  The dobsonfly was trying to bite back, but the mantis just started taking chunks out of the mandibles and it was blowing my mind.  Such fascinating insects!

They are facinating yes.. I love to see them eat or even hunt their prey. And their mandibles dont stop when they eat. I love the way they move their heads and follow you.