Ooths hatch HOW many times?!?!?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mantidmomma

Reaction score
Soooo, this will sound odd, but it truly happened and we are shocked.

I purchased 2 bark ooths off of this site and one of them hatched on June 19th. Both ooths were in the same container so I left the hatched ooth in there. On July 13th, we had baby barks again. But then...........on July 16th, we had baby barks for the THIRD time!!!  I had only kept the container because the date of mating was on it and I wanted to note it in my paperwork. Mating occurred on April 16th. Each batch of babies brought us 48 bark nymphs.

Is this normal?  I'm afraid to throw the ooths out still, just in case.  LOL!

Sometimes mantis ootheca hatch slowly in batches over a few days. So it does happen sometimes. I had Chinese mantis ootheca hatch over a few days with the first day having just a few then the next a few then the next a huge bunch hatched!

They can also be more staggered with a few hatching over several days similar to what you had happen.

I would keep the ootheca for a little longer in case there are stragglers. Good luck with your nymphs!

I had the same thing happen to me with a Chinese ooth, but it hatched in my top drawer without a cage!

- MantisGirl13

Sometimes mantis ootheca hatch slowly in batches over a few days. So it does happen sometimes. I had Chinese mantis ootheca hatch over a few days with the first day having just a few then the next a few then the next a huge bunch hatched!

They can also be more staggered with a few hatching over several days similar to what you had happen.

I would keep the ootheca for a little longer in case there are stragglers. Good luck with your nymphs!
I think I will always keep them for a few weeks at this point.  LOL!  That was so odd.  48 and a few days later, 48 more.  Yet the first egg only hatched 48 total. 

These barks are truly amazing!

I had the same thing happen to me with a Chinese ooth, but it hatched in my top drawer without a cage!

- MantisGirl13
Oh no!!!  I bet that was interesting!!!  I had the lid of slightly when the first batch hatched. Luckily we are forever checking on the ooths and my son caught it in time.  The barks are about the size of a medium ant when they hatch. We likely would not have found any of them.  :(   I hope you were able to round up your Chinese nymphs!