30 Million-Year-Old preserved Praying Mantis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Synapze

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great article. 

30 Million-Year-Old Praying Mantis Is Preserved in Pristine Piece of Amber

praying-mantis-amber-heritage-auctions-4.jpeg

https://mymodernmet.com/praying-mantis-dominican-amber/

Wow! that is pretty neat, although I don't believe it is millions of years old. 

- MantisGirl13

It is hard to believe that this very clear amber from a tree, Hymenaea protera, which has been extinct a very long time ago  is what encased this mantis which look like a modern mantis.

That is beautifully preserved. Much better than I’ve done with hand sanitizer! 

It is impressive what effective predators they are, to have remained unchanged for so long. Thanks for sharing!

That is really neat.  According to the article...it was sold at an auction for $6,000.  So it could just be a paperweight on someone's desk now. ?  

Very nice if indeed an authentic specimen. I would hope so for the selling price. My biggest hobby is fossils and I know that these types of pieces are often faked. 

I agree with Mantisgirl13. Very cool although I don't believe it is millions of years old.

Very beautiful all the same!

@RickI've read the auction item description... it seems to gloss over some very important details. ?

---

RARE PRAYING MANTIS IN AMBERMantodea orderOligocene
La Toca Mines, near Santiago, Dominican Republic
Amber is a beautiful, naturally occurring substance, fossilized from oozing tree resin 30 million years ago. Occasionally, its appeal is enhanced by the presence of small pieces of floral debris or even insect life, caught in the sticky ooze and imprisoned in suspended animation for all eternity. This present specimen boasts one of the rarest and most sought after of all inclusions; the Praying Mantis. When found at all, these ferocious insects are usually distorted or lacking limbs due to their fearful struggle to escape the inexorable ooze. This example, however, is preserved to perfection, right down to the color patterns on its slender legs, fine arm spikes, delicate antennae, and large compound eyes. An incredible snapshot of ancient life, the insect measures approximately ½ inch long encased in a lovely polished golden nugget measuring 1¾ x 1¼ x 1 inches. As an added attraction; the piece also contains three large and perfectly preserved click beetles, making it a superb museum-quality specimen.

Latest posts