When to give up?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwright

Reaction score
I've had a chinese ooth from InsectLore for 14 weeks now. They have already refunded me for it not hatching, but I am just having a hard time letting go. What if I leave them outside and they finally hatch? When should I just give up? Is there a definitive time when the ooth just won't hatch? Ugh it's so hard.

It might not hatch. I got three Chinese ooths, and only one hatched. You just don’t know if it was in healthy conditions prior or you receiving it, and three and half months is quite a while.

Of course, there’s no reason why you shouldn’t keep it a little longer, but don’t put all your hopes into it, and don’t be too surprised if it never hatches.

I mean, it's not hurting anything just sitting where it's at. While I've given up misting it, I'll probably leave it until it gets colder outside. Then mostly likely 100% give up. I purchased two more ooths from a local hardware store, but it's already August so I really doubt they will hatch.

Please don't put it outside. According to a recent publication, that species is not found in Washington state and it would be great if people would stop spreading it around. 

If you want to know about the ooth, slice it with a razor blade by making thin slices from the end working towards the center. When you get to the first layer of eggs see what they look like. If they are black, dried up, or already hatched you will know it is not viable. If you see nymphs or yellow egg yolk wait longer. By doing this check you will lose only a few eggs if you do it right. 

Please don't put it outside. According to a recent publication, that species is not found in Washington state and it would be great if people would stop spreading it around. 

If you want to know about the ooth, slice it with a razor blade by making thin slices from the end working towards the center. When you get to the first layer of eggs see what they look like. If they are black, dried up, or already hatched you will know it is not viable. If you see nymphs or yellow egg yolk wait longer. By doing this check you will lose only a few eggs if you do it right. 
Sorry, what I meant by "outside" was in the garage in the mesh net cage it's in.

And I will definitely try the razor blade! Biological studies absolutely fascinate me. I will come back with my findings later ?

Here are my results! Turns out the ooth was an infertile dud and nothing was ever going to hatch from it. At least now I can finally clean up and pack off my equipment for when another ooth comes my way.

40325433_2209550655982035_5313878674146066432_n.jpg

40441509_995831943955625_7808700399002583040_n (1).jpg

I just did the same thing last week with an enormous ooth from an S. gastrica that had a suspiciously brief mating session. After incubating and misting for over 4 months...the ooth dissection looked identical to yours. I kinda knew it was a dud...but I was holding out hope. Still disappointed! 

I am sorry that your ooth was a dud. Chinese ooths are not that expensive so you should get another!

- MantisGirl13

I am sorry that your ooth was a dud. Chinese ooths are not that expensive so you should get another!

- MantisGirl13
I've actually got 2 right now! Turns out they're really popular to purchase in my state for the summer gardens etc. It's already September though so I really doubt they will hatch. And if they do I'm expecting a very high mortality rate. I only have enough containers for 24 nymphs. I would be surprised if any survived at this point.

Good! They are great pest control, even if they are not native. 

- MantisGirl13

Soooo glad you posted this and I read it!  First, I am sorry to hear about it not hatching.  It is great you received a refund.  I will definitely keep that company in mind!

I got a ghost ooth from US Mantis many, many months ago.  It has still not hatched, but I just couldn't throw it out.  No refund because it could be "user" error".  And while I am not a "pro" by any means....this is the ONLY ooth I have gotten (so far), that has not hatched. I take great pride in everything mantid related and spend a minimum of 3 hours (usually it averages about 6 hours) a  day misting, feeding, cleaning, etc.

I am going to do as you did, and as Rick suggested, and I am going to dissect mine now!

1221868070_40441509_995831943955625_7808700399002583040_n(1).thumb.jpg.75923e28f5816f66c9fba16f9eec850f.jpg

Looks interesting:  the inside of an ooth. You see even the places where the nymphs should have grown if it was fertile. Nature is great.?

Soooo glad you posted this and I read it!  First, I am sorry to hear about it not hatching.  It is great you received a refund.  I will definitely keep that company in mind!

I am going to do as you did, and as Rick suggested, and I am going to dissect mine now!
InsectLore is great if you have kids you wanna teach praying mantises about, but they only sell Chinese mantid ooths.

Let us know how your dissection went! Don't go too far in unless you see it's a dud like I did. Pics pics pics!!!!

I got a ghost ooth from US Mantis many, many months ago.  It has still not hatched, but I just couldn't throw it out.  No refund because it could be "user" error".  And while I am not a "pro" by any means....this is the ONLY ooth I have gotten (so far), that has not hatched. 
Funny, I have a Ghost Ooth from USMANTIS that I am incubating right now. It's been about a month and nothing yet. This doesn't give me any hope that it is going to hatch ? 

Do you know when the ooth was laid, @Graceface? Phyllocrania paradoxa ooths can take 1-2 months to hatch.
I don't, the website didn't mention. I've had extremely poor service from that breeder so I haven't bothered trying to ask him it's age. I've read it can take 4 to 10 weeks for a Ghost ooth to hatch, so I haven't given up yet ? 

Latest posts